Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of the older Rancho extended radius arms, and was wondering if they had any positive caster built into them. Does anyone know if the newer radius arms (any company) have positive caster built into them? The caster is pretty far off, and I would like to add more. Or I was considering putting in a hemi joint and lowering the mount on the frame... Will there be a noticeable difference with a hemi joint installed? Does anyone know if you would feel the road more with the hemi, or is it not even noticeable? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I got my first Bronco when I was 17, and as many know, fell into that love/hate relationship with them. I would spend so much time and money working on them, get them just about where I wanted them, then sell them because I wanted to buy a new truck. Then I'd have that dam monthly payment and kick myself for selling the Bronco. So I'd go out and buy another one and do the same thing. This time I'm keeping it come hell or high water!:armed

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what i understand with heims is you only feel more vibration ect. If somethings not right. Ie loose joints or unbalanced tires. Have you tried the moog adjustable bushings to get the caster your after?

Yes, I tried the adjustable bushings. Over the weekend, I dropped in the radius arm drop brackets that came with my original 4" lift. the Bronco drove great and eliminated most all of the wander, but it threw the camber out more than 3 degrees. I was about 3/4 degree positive camber with the bushing adjusted to a full 3 degrees. I was able to adjust the drivers side to spec, but just couldn't get enough on the passenger side. I was thinking of maybe even having a hole drilled into the above mentioned brackets about 2 1/2 inches higher, so there's not too much caster that it causes it to go out that far. Not sure if that's a viable option though.?. I was just wondering if the newer radius arms from Rancho, Superlift, etc. had more caster built into them than the older Ranchos that I have...

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
I think I've read, but can't remember where, that the Camburg arms had more caster built in. Mind want to dig around the go-fast sites for more info.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Yes. (Or at least I would assume so)

Rancho's tallest TTB lift is 4" and they design there arms for exactly that amount of lift.

Everyone else designs there arms for 6" and you need a little more caster for that due to the angle of the arm.

The 6" arms can still be used for a 4" kit because a little extra caster is not a big deal.

But let me get something straight. You are running a 6" kit, with 4" Rancho extended arms, but due to not having enough caster you installed the original Radius arm drop brackets with the extended arms, is that correct?

Can you take a picture of that, I would like to see how that worked out? ;)

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes. (Or at least I would assume so)

Rancho's tallest TTB lift is 4" and they design there arms for exactly that amount of lift.

Everyone else designs there arms for 6" and you need a little more caster for that due to the angle of the arm.

The 6" arms can still be used for a 4" kit because a little extra caster is not a big deal.

But let me get something straight. You are running a 6" kit, with 4" Rancho extended arms, but due to not having enough caster you installed the original Radius arm drop brackets with the extended arms, is that correct?

So that answers my question... Thanks! If they are only for a 4" and I'm running 7.5 inches, that would cause my caster issue. I have someone building me some new brackets now with a little more drop that might work. If not, I will probably need to look into some of the other lift companies radius arms.
What I had was the Rancho arms on and a 7" lift and I have never been able to get enough caster. I wanted to see what I came up with when I installed the tough country drop brackets with the Rancho arms. When installed, I could not get the correct camber ( I was off by 1 degree with the biggest camber bushing I could find) but the Bronco did track a lot better. Sorry, I only had it on for a short time because I didn't want to chew up my tires so I didn't take any pictures of it.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I took the radius arm drop brackets from another lift and modified them. The Bronco was driving pretty good, but did have a little wander on the freeway. I kept thinking (after having it aligned) that there just wasn't enough caster. The original hole on the brackets was approx. 5" lower than stock and that was just too much... I couldn't get the camber correct with it like that. So I drilled out a hole 2 1/2" up from the original. I then added a 1/2" piece of steel on the back to reinforce it and cut off the excess. I was in such a hurry to get it done because it is my DD, that I didn't take any picture of the process. Gacknar wanted to see pictures of it, so here are some after shots. I have no more wander on the freeway and I'm extremely glad I did it. The only issue I see is that the bracket hangs a lot lower that the original and may hang up on a rock while wheeling. Also, since Gacknar educated me on the fact that Rancho only made the radius arms for a 4" lift, I might purchase a set from Bronco Graveyard for a 6" and put them in when I get the money. I just wanted to test it out to make sure it would help before spending the 500 bucks on them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So I took the radius arm drop brackets from another lift and modified them. The Bronco was driving pretty good, but did have a little wander on the freeway. I kept thinking (after having it aligned) that there just wasn't enough caster. The original hole on the brackets was approx. 5" lower than stock and that was just too much... I couldn't get the camber correct with it like that. So I drilled out a hole 2 1/2" up from the original. I then added a 1/2" piece of steel on the back to reinforce it and cut off the excess. I was in such a hurry to get it done because it is my DD, that I didn't take any picture of the process. Gacknar wanted to see pictures of it, so here are some after shots. I have no more wander on the freeway and I'm extremely glad I did it. The only issue I see is that the bracket hangs a lot lower that the original and may hang up on a rock while wheeling. Also, since Gacknar educated me on the fact that Rancho only made the radius arms for a 4" lift, I might purchase a set from Bronco Graveyard for a 6" and put them in when I get the money. I just wanted to test it out to make sure it would help before spending the 500 bucks on them.

Nice Bronco. Can't wait to get back to mine and get a lift installed.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will eventually have to buy new radius arms, the arm is almost completely striped out now. I had to put in a tack weld to make sure it stays where it is supposed to. The new engine comes first though... after that, I will start looking to save for RA's.

It's just a balancing act for the meats now. It's hard to find someone around here that will spend the time and balance the tires right. It seems like every time I buy large tires, I spend a month trying to get someone to balance them!

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know what you mean by striped and tacked. But it doesn't sound good. I wouldn't be driving it if their not secure.
Sorry, I meant stripped. the end of the radius arm bolt is stripped off about a half an inch so there is not much for the nut to hold onto. I did get it to torque specs then "tack" welded it in place. Its probably more secure now than it ever was, but the next time I take it off it's not going back on. :banghead

1 - 17 of 17 Posts