Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone kicked the idea around of running radius arms in the rear . I was throwing some ideas around today for the 10.25 swap and was thinking about running matching arms to the ones we made in the front . I am planning on running 4 link and Nitrogen shocks to suspend the rear . Also going to run them in the front . Fronts will be in over this winter with the D 60 swap .

My only concern was the axle wrap . I know I have seen a truck with radius arms on a 9" rear somewhere but not sure where .

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
seems like you could duplicate the front suspension on the rear, if i read your post correctly. you could use coils or 1/4 eliptical leafs. all the front has is radius arms, coils & trac bar. welding on the tabs to a rear axle & the arms should eliminate wrap.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's freaky. I was looking at my SAS yesterday and was thinking the same thing. I know a guy who did it....sorta. he had to ditch the bed on his f-100. I was thinking same story for bronco, but maybe if you cut the body floor and ditched the rear seat it would be possible.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Pat Gremillion from Premeir Power Welder/ Pull Pal put radius arms on the rear of his early Bronco

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
yep. alot of people i know have pondered this before (including me). Pat is prob the most famous case of it. He has been in 4W&OR tons of times, kinda cool how you could see his truck evolve over the years.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
I think the major issue is where to mount the coils. As I am sure you have noticed there is much less room in the rear than in the front. You would probably have to fabricate some brackets in the rear and have the coil run through the floor and into the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
the coil can't run thru the floor tho, the gas tank's in the way. W/O looking at others who've done the same thing, I would mount the coil below the frame, with custom brackets obviously, and Heim joints rather than the bushings. The trac bar should be pretty easy to handle

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if we read we would have noticed I will be running Nitrogen Suspension so there will not be any coils . But even if there were to be coils they would be at the same height as the top of the frame rails . I will probably run a setup like David was saying with heim joints 2 at the rear and 1 at the chassis .

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
What Oscar is running is basically a traction bar for the rear leaves. What you're describing is a true link rear suspension.

Personally, I have never seen the point on a fullsize. The stock leaves will flex more than you have wheeltub, anyway.

But designing any sort of rear link suspension means sitting down and drawing it out and doing the math to support it. If your links aren't well-placed, best case it won't work like you want it to, worst case it will be flat-out dangerous to drive.

Search for the God of Suspension thread on PBB and start from there if you're serious about this. If I were you, I'd just build a traction bar and leave the link rear suspensions to the buggies.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Um yeah, Oscar's rear setup is just a traction bar deal, the arms do nothing to locate the axle fore/aft so long as the leaves are there

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Keith_L said:
Um yeah, Oscar's rear setup is just a traction bar deal, the arms do nothing to locate the axle fore/aft so long as the leaves are there
I build it if I change my mind and put airbags I only need to put track bar and the brackets for the bags no major things and I have that allready but I like this setup I drove few trucks with airbags and I think I stay with the leaves

·
AKA Joe
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My issue with riddding my truck of leaf springs is that there is no way to run 13"s in the rear without the use of blocks . I want to get rid of these god for saken things .
The nitrogen suspension also rides like a cushion of air . I rode in my friends truck (the red tubular truck) and we hit a curb at 25 mph and barely noticed it . Granted it is setup with 20"s of travel and mine will only be setup with like 10-12 so it will be a little stiffer than his .

My setup will be more of a 3 link than a "radius arm" I was just thinking about that as an idea . The rear links will be duplacates of my front radius arms accept with two heim joints at the rear end instead of C bushings .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts