Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the process of taking the nut off of the radius are when it wouldnt come loose and the radius are broke:doh0715:. so now i need a new radius arm. where can i find the best price? and how do i get it off thanks guys!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
how the hell did you manage to break the radius arm?:smilie_slap. one guy on here got some factory ford ones from jeffs bronco graveyard.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Snag a used one from a wrecking yard.....and be careful next time!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all the lifts we put in these rigs, it should be pretty easy to find one from someone who did a long arm swap. I have a set you could have, if I were closer. Check around and if you don't find any, let me know shipping probably wouldn't be too expensive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also broke the threaded portion of the radius arm trying to remove that big nut on the frame rail - I was using a borrowed 1" Ingersoll Rand Impact gun that literally sheared the bolt right off. I got a used one from the junk yard for like $30 and it had a good bushing on it! My memory is a little hazy, but there is another booger of a big nut on the axle connection - I had to go buy a very large metric socket to fit and and also heat it with a torch before it would budge.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was taking the nut off to put a lift kit on i heated it and everything! i am trying to find a used one anyone selling?

·
si vis pacem, para bellum
3,511 Posts
wow man. try soaking it in pbblaster for a dew days next time.

try broncograveyard for a replacement

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i torched it the pb blaster then repeated that process many times still broke! its very rusty i will try to get the pic up. i am looking for a cheap used replacement first money is tight.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I also broke the threaded portion of the radius arm trying to remove that big nut on the frame rail - I was using a borrowed 1" Ingersoll Rand Impact gun that literally sheared the bolt right off. I got a used one from the junk yard for like $30 and it had a good bushing on it! My memory is a little hazy, but there is another booger of a big nut on the axle connection - I had to go buy a very large metric socket to fit and and also heat it with a torch before it would budge.
What the heck are you doing using a 1" impact? Is your Bronco built to earthmover specs or something? Use a 1/2" next time....plenty of power with a 1/2".:smilie_slap

·
yes
1,769 Posts
i torched it the pb blaster then repeated that process many times still broke! its very rusty i will try to get the pic up. i am looking for a cheap used replacement first money is tight.
Did you use an O/A torch or just a small propane? If you get two flat sides of the nuts glowing red hot they come right off...

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Go to a mechanic, some of em will have an inductor heater that heats the nut but not anything else, does it in about a few seconds and the nut will come right off. I watched my mechanic do it for my egr valve stem, the bottom nut was so rusted that I couldnt get the egr to tighten up. It was an awesome tool and worked like a charm

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
i sure hope his impact was turning the right way

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,064 Posts

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
It would be the left side. how do i take the old one off?
You need a large 1 1/8th in socket for the bottom bolt. Same size but really deep for the upper stud that holds the lower retainer that holds the lower spring coil. The rest is just lifting the vehicle & supporting it on a stand but make sure you put the jack stand some where other than under the axle housing so that when you un-bolt the spring you can stand on the hub to force the whole housing, rotor, knuckle, everything down so you can grab & pull the whole coil spring out. Don't worry there is no chance of it shooting out. Just step on the locking hub, against the brake rotor, grab it with both hands & pull hard. I just replaced mine with extended ones & was keeping the stockers for spares but if you're in a bind let me know! :thumbup-Kevin-

1 - 20 of 20 Posts