Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the truck for a boot around the block with the amazing Redhead steering and the crappy brakes lol.
Noticed when I was running back and forth to work in the brakes -I got a bit of a clunk on the PASS side-(Forward and Reverse)-like something was loose .I stopped quickly ---but something shifted . This
My heart shifted also--:mad::mad::mad:I'm dam sure that everything is tight!!

The only thing I could think of was the Radius Arm. So I took bracket off from frame to take a close look at the bushings.

Now these bushings are ENERGY SUSPENSION-BUT -Are these right????-When they are butted together-Is that not way too much space for just the bracket thickness->>>thus leaving some slop.

I took the 2 bushings and put them together the proper way with the bracket on as if on the truck-and with the bushings together-the bracket could still slide with play back and forth.

SEE PICS->>

Did I get the wrong Bushings from Energy??

-the only way I see fixing this- would be to add a large spacer / washer !!!
Don't you think that the 2 bushings should come together a bit more????

WITHOUT BRACKET in between

Gas Cylinder Metal Auto part Pipe

that sure looks like allot of spice for the bracket to fill in- doncha' think??
Gas Bumper Cylinder Automotive tire Metal

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,537 Posts
Do you have a picture of your brackets?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,572 Posts
On the TTB, the bushing halves are not identical, and on the rear bushing slides a small plastic ring that takes up some gap.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I better check the drivers side

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics with the bracket>>>>>>>>>

These bushings are right up against each other-and look at the gap!

pushed to the right-below

and then to the left

1978 BRONCO RANGER XLT/351M/C6/203/205 SWAP/9IN 3.50 REAR
PURCHASED BY FAMILY IN 1978-AND STILL REMAINS AFTER 40Yrs

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My apologies guys-went out and took a look at the drivers side to see what was happening there and it seems to be fine -so how do you explain that????-looks like I might have to just re-seat the bushings and try and wrench the nut to try and squish the bushings tighter if I can muscle it???and if not-I will have to add a spacer of some sort to fill in the space???
I might have to try this again-feel free to leave any comments or advice 👍 👍

·
Premium Member
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,537 Posts
I've been going through all my pics on imgur and I don't really have a good shot of the factory radius arms and bushings on mine. There are a couple where you kind of see them and they pretty much look like yours, so I'm not sure what's going wrong with yours as far as how they are installing. I know the bushings need to squish pretty good when they are on.

The brackets have that fat, maybe 1/4-1/2" thick washer welded onto them on one side and yours looks to have that. My old bushings have a sizable gap, but I'm pretty sure they were factory rubber and not an aftermarket piece like yours, so I'm not sure how much of a difference in compression there would be.

Here's a shot of one of my brackets. You can see that thick washer below it. It was only tacked on in three places and the welds apparently broke off.

And here's a shot of a radius arm. The bushings are still on it and you can kind of see the gap they create. It looks pretty sizable to me, similar to yours.

I'd go grab them and take better pictures, but I sold the arms and brackets to a guy local to me a long time ago. He was putting a quad shock setup on his F-150 or something like that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again Doose'- I think I better take another shot at it and see if I can squish em together a bit more -the drivers side did-then the passenger has to as well.- I'll give it a go-and keep you posted-Thanks

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
2,384 Posts
I’d loosen the driver side first and double make sure, that there the same length on the squeeze point, might have A+C in place of A+B as in side specific of the bracket front and back are different maybe. Does that make sense?! TLW says I rarely do make sense.

Reactions: biglog78

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,416 Posts
Something looks missing in all these pictures is there a difference between a 78 2-wheel drive vs a 78 4-wheel drive setup? What about the link below this looks like it has all the parts to make things work correctly from my point of view.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Something looks missing in all these pictures is there a difference between a 78 2-wheel drive vs a 78 4-wheel drive setup?
Yes. I was actually going to post pics of the bushings and brackets on my 2wd 77 to show the difference, but I didn't think it mattered to the issue at hand.

The 2wd setups use different bushings and they have more washers that are used.

The kit you linked would probably work fine. I don't know if the bushings need to be different shapes on either side of the bracket, as they were the same on mine in stock form and they worked just fine, but I'm sure it'd be ok. That kit also has replacement washers, so you don't need to use the welded on metal ones that are there from the factory.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,204 Posts
Granted I have a custom RA bracket, but I used the poly RA bushings from energy suspension and this is what it looks like..

·
Super Moderator
29,439 Posts
Yo BIg,
Review this to help verify BIG, RA installation,IF SAME then we move onto frame, etc
Font Rectangle Parallel Publication Document
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Pattern
Rectangle Font Screenshot Computer Operating system

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’d loosen the driver side first and double make sure, that there the same length on the squeeze point, might have A+C in place of A+B as in side specific of the bracket front and back are different maybe. Does that make sense?! TLW says I rarely do make sense.
Yes Mojo-that is what I thought as well- like I mis-paired them like there's a specific front and rear!???

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Something looks missing in all these pictures is there a difference between a 78 2-wheel drive vs a 78 4-wheel drive setup? What about the link below this looks like it has all the parts to make things work correctly from my point of view.

WOW!!! STEVO- that sure looks like the kit I need!- Notice the bushings are different-not the same:mad:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well heres a good question-Does it matter if the SPACER/WASHER is welded to the back of the bracket??-or if its loose??
Why did FORD tack them in 3 places (to keep it from spinning???) When everything is sandwiched together with the final nut-why did that COLLAR/SPACER have to be tacked???-just curious
Wood Font Material property Collar Circle

·
Super Moderator
29,439 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts