Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a frame off restoration with my 15 year old son, we are close to making it a rollin chassi however we ran into a few cliches. I had to install new helicoil in all 8 radius arm bolt holes as the bolts were badly rusted which took out 1/2 the thread. I also had to remove a fair amount of rust in both sections where it wraps around the axle which I suspect is the root of my problem. Its been cleaned and painted with new c bushings but the problem is I have a difference in height between the two arms. Could someone please tell me what the heck is going on! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
830 Posts
Those c bushings have a top and bottom, you may have one of them in upside down
They are also a bit finicky when you tighten them down. Once you verify none of the bushings are upside down, I would get the cap bolts set up loose, get the back of the radius arms in the frame mounts, then jump around from bolt to bolt torquing those caps a little at a time

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,857 Posts
Those old "C" styles always rusted and flaked, nature of the beast.
Also, I have never had the radius arms sit straight without a load on them, I usually have to fight to get them in place. I mean, hey, they are bolted in rubber from the factory, I wouldn't be worried about. Get them bolted in and get your springs in.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Also note that manufacturing tolerances were not as good in the 70's as they are today, and these old Dana 44 axles lack adjustability to account for it. Caster will likely be fine, as an average of what the two radius arms are trying to do to locate the axle. Don't be surprised if you get a wheel alignment and find camber is 1/2 degree different from one side to the other; this shouldn't be an issue, just keep on top of tire rotations to keep the wear even

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,857 Posts
If you do end up having an issue, you can get adjustable camber/caster bushings.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
752 Posts
Should be ok when you put them in the brackets and put some tension on them . Looks great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's looking great! Can't wait to start mine! What is your source for those red bushings?

·
Ultra Premium Member
4,857 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts