Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 45 min. trip in the pouring rain. The whole back floor by the tail gate is soaked. I sealed where the floor mat meets the rear lower rubber seal. Can water go up through the drain holes of the tail gate then leak down from the access panel? The tailgate is tight against the lower rubber seal. I had my son take the leaf blower the other day and blow around the tailgate and glass and only felt air at the lower corners of the rear glass. I am sick of this. It is also leaking up front by the dimmer switch dripping from some where only when I drive it in the rain. I have sealed everything I know .

·
Registered
855 Posts
IMG_3146 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr It is coming from above the vent only when driven in the rain. The rear just pour water in the floor all the way across infront of the tail gate
I think it's the same thing as mine did in heavy rain

@Doosenberry ; said it's from the seam below the cowl, the seam sealer cracks with time and water gets in that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have sealed that seam on both sides Getting sick of it. But cant figure out the rear it was soaked

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have sealed that seam on both sides Getting sick of it. But cant figure out the rear it was soaked
does it leak and pool here on the back left where that tailgate seal is? Mine is doing that and I think it might be the topper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,977 Posts
IMG_3146 by Daniel Crymes, on Flickr It is coming from above the vent only when driven in the rain. The rear just pour water in the floor all the way across infront of the tail gate
Mine did that. It was the glass upper run gasket. Go over it with a hose and see if the inside of your rear window gets wet. Could also be the gaskets that go under your topper. The corner pieces could be dry/rotted... As far as the front goes. Have you replaced the cowel gasket?
20191103_100243_HDR-1.jpg

I was getting puddles on both front floors before I replaced mine (and resealed my windshield). It would drip off the visor and collect right about where you're describing yours is.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My brain is having a hard time translating where on the bronco this seam is. Does anyone have another picture? When it rains I also get some pooling, don't know where it's coming from, that pools on the floor of the driver and passenger side and usually sits in the door sills. I'll be running a hose on it soon to try to help figure it out, but if I know where to look already that could help.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When you have the hood up look at the firewall down below the brake booster and there is a seam that goes all the way across. I have sealed mine up good but also had water coming in around the gas pedal only when driving in the rain. Can the seam on the back of the topper leak and run down in the rear of my bronco?? I am going to look at it today

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,074 Posts
My brain is having a hard time translating where on the bronco this seam is. Does anyone have another picture? When it rains I also get some pooling, don't know where it's coming from, that pools on the floor of the driver and passenger side and usually sits in the door sills. I'll be running a hose on it soon to try to help figure it out, but if I know where to look already that could help.
The OP has a '78/'79, yours being a '96 will have different possible points of entry for the water..In your case, I'd be willing to bet the drain trough under the cowl has rusted through in a couple of spots..This is common as debris accumulates and sits in there over the years..Best way to find out what's going on is to pull the cowl, clean out the trough and hit it with a hose..

I've been dealing with this problem for years..check out some of my pictures here for related problem areas..this deals with the drivers side..

1992 Ford Bronco Firewall Leak Troubleshooting pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

·
Registered
283 Posts
The OP has a '78/'79, yours being a '96 will have different possible points of entry for the water..In your case, I'd be willing to bet the drain trough under the cowl has rusted through in a couple of spots..This is common as debris accumulates and sits in there over the years..Best way to find out what's going on is to pull the cowl, clean out the trough and hit it with a hose..

I've been dealing with this problem for years..check out some of my pictures here for related problem areas..this deals with the drivers side..

1992 Ford Bronco Firewall Leak Troubleshooting pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
Awesome, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
79 bronco ranger XLT 4 speed manual with a stock 351m
19 Posts
Just got back from a 45 min. trip in the pouring rain. The whole back floor by the tail gate is soaked. I sealed where the floor mat meets the rear lower rubber seal. Can water go up through the drain holes of the tail gate then leak down from the access panel? The tailgate is tight against the lower rubber seal. I had my son take the leaf blower the other day and blow around the tailgate and glass and only felt air at the lower corners of the rear glass. I am sick of this. It is also leaking up front by the dimmer switch dripping from some where only when I drive it in the rain. I have sealed everything I know .
I just took mine through the carwash. Cleaned my jeans, shoes and shirt as well... Also knocked off the side molding...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sprayed water with the hose after work today under the back of the bronco. The water is coming in on the drivers side somewhere. After I hosed it opened the tailgate and there was water standing. My wife was watching from the back seat and did not see it come in. WHO KNOW!!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
1,067 Posts
always start low with the hose and work your way up.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
2,226 Posts
I see you have vents in the kick panels, so this must be a non-a/c Bronco. You might have water coming in from the vents. Have you tried popping off the covers and having a look? Maybe they are plugged.

Here's a diagram I snagged from FTE. It doesn't list the 78/79 Bronco, but I'm sure it's close to what you have. It's the bottom pic of course, top is for Econolines.

·
Registered
78 BRONCO RANGER XLT -351M-C6-NP203 TO 205 SWAP -9IN 3.50 REAR
55 Posts
Mine leaked under top drivers side Windshield gasket-down the inside left pillar and onto the floor by dimmer-never a leak in the back.-so far fingers crossed.Glass will have to come out with gasket and pinch lip will need to checked for rust or holes-possible lack of or cracked urethane.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I have the front figured out but still stumped on the rear. I am going to pull the seat and everything in the back to see If I can figure out something. When I spray water under it it gets the floor wet but cant see where it is coming from around the tailgate or from the somewhere else

·
Super Moderator
25,795 Posts
Yo 79,
Is the watershield behind access panel in the t/g ok? Look at this & the following pics:
1983 Ford Bronco Tailgate Tech picture | SuperMotors.net
notable excerpt, "since the rain leaks in along the top where the weatherbelt meets the glass, and then drips off the bottom edge of the glass, it falls on the paper and then runs in between the paper the t/g. The tape is supposed to create a seal & a dam that holds the rain in its pocket, forcing it to flow back into the t/g, but over the years, the rain works its way down past the tape. Then it flows down between the t/g & the access panel, out onto the t/g threshold seal. When that fills, it overflows the threshold and runs over to the carpet, where it seeps in and continues forward (assuming the truck is parked flat) under the rear seat, and down onto the front floor where it soaks into THAT carpet. Eventually, it makes its way to the front door thresholds where it corrodes the wiring.".

·
Registered
2-78 bronco,s-I is a ranger xlt and one is a custom-It has original 4 speed and I put a 390 in it
61 Posts
I see you have vents in the kick panels, so this must be a non-a/c Bronco. You might have water coming in from the vents. Have you tried popping off the covers and having a look? Maybe they are plugged.

Here's a diagram I snagged from FTE. It doesn't list the 78/79 Bronco, but I'm sure it's close to what you have. It's the bottom pic of course, top is for Econolines.

Both of my 78" would leak on the front corners of the front section of the floor. What I don,t to stop it was. In behind the back section of the front fenders , You can see a bulge sticking out. During heavy rain.Alot of water comes down .Where the wiper section.As the rain travels down . Into the bulge.It would over flow---behind the vents on the kick panels. My cure was .I cut holes in the bulge. Over time this bulge it fills up with leaves and dirt. Then during hard rain. The bulge over flowed into the inside .Behind the vent kick panels. Now I can take a 5 gallon bucket full of water and dump it where the wiper. area is and it will wash all the leaves out and NONE come through the vent. Also IF you have a small leak on each side of the floors. Check to make sure the vet windows are closed and tight. Hope this helps you. It solved mine---after all the sealing I had done

1 - 20 of 22 Posts