Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried searching around but have really gotten nowhere. I have a 3" body lift on the bronco. I wanted to know if there is a way to raise the tank maybe strapping it to the cab somehow. Modding the tank cover? Anyone raise their tank after a bl? Or ideas?

88 Bronco XLT 351W 32 Gal tank.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
I cut out the floor in my 86 & put the tank indoors. Don't know if you could fit the tank up higher with a BL or not. The frame is more limiting on the tank than the body it seems. I intended to take pictures when I was doing it, but got carried away cutting & beating & forgot the pics. I actually ended up taking out the rearmost crossmember & reversing it to get a little more space. You might be able to remove your rear bumper, the trim behind it, grind off the rivets, knock out the xmember & slide the tank into the frame from the back but I don't know for sure. It's a PITA to work on that xmember even without a back bumper & not minding cutting everything in the way to get in there. I drilled the holes to 1/2" & bolted everything back in & put a skid plate on the bottom of the frame. The tank actually sits on some 1/2" rubber pad on top of the skid plate. The xmembers in front of & behind the tank are what hold it in place once the straps are tight so it's hard to move the tank without lots of work. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but......
And if you do what I did, you would end up with ~5" of tank above the floor inside, where I have 8" sticking out. I will eventually get a steel cover over it and a spare carrier & parts storage built to fill the whole backend. I can take pics of it if you want, it's going to be below zero in the morning but warmer in a few days. There is a thread in the 78/79 section about raising the tank but they are different from the 80s, but still the general idea.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
send a message to Jackson. he did it with great success. I think his name on here is jtg.

·
Beach bumming it ........
15,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cut out the floor in my 86 & put the tank indoors. Don't know if you could fit the tank up higher with a BL or not. The frame is more limiting on the tank than the body it seems. I intended to take pictures when I was doing it, but got carried away cutting & beating & forgot the pics. I actually ended up taking out the rearmost crossmember & reversing it to get a little more space. You might be able to remove your rear bumper, the trim behind it, grind off the rivets, knock out the xmember & slide the tank into the frame from the back but I don't know for sure. It's a PITA to work on that xmember even without a back bumper & not minding cutting everything in the way to get in there. I drilled the holes to 1/2" & bolted everything back in & put a skid plate on the bottom of the frame. The tank actually sits on some 1/2" rubber pad on top of the skid plate. The xmembers in front of & behind the tank are what hold it in place once the straps are tight so it's hard to move the tank without lots of work. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but......
And if you do what I did, you would end up with ~5" of tank above the floor inside, where I have 8" sticking out. I will eventually get a steel cover over it and a spare carrier & parts storage built to fill the whole backend. I can take pics of it if you want, it's going to be below zero in the morning but warmer in a few days. There is a thread in the 78/79 section about raising the tank but they are different from the 80s, but still the general idea.
Do you still have the bronco to take pictures of this?
I didnt really want to cut into the cab because i want to use the cab space still. I was thinking of somehow bringing the tank back up toward the cab, maybe bolting it in from the inside of the cab somehow.

send a message to Jackson. he did it with great success. I think his name on here is jtg.

Will do thanks man.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Thought about it a few times, should be as simple as cutting 1"-3" out of the skid plate and adding the same amount to the straps on top.

I never did it because I was afraid it would make my receiver hitch seem awfully low. But if I did not have a receiver I would definitely want to raise it.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,300 Posts
I picked up a new skidplate/tank mount a few years back. One of the guys over at 2big made it I believe.... It is probably over kill but it is about 1/8" plate and lifted my take up quite a few inches, if you want I'll try to take some pics but the top of my tank is probably 3" above the top of the frame rail....

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
could you take those pic's i would like to see how it was done. i want to raise mine, but dont want to cut the floor and drop it back in from the top. just want to move it up alittle.

·
I ♥ TTB
4,300 Posts
I'll take some this weekend and post up on Monday :thumbup

·
I ♥ TTB
4,300 Posts
Sorry for the crappy quality but it was dark and I was using my cell phone... Should give you the idea though, I wish I had a pic of it not installed but basically it makes a basket around the bottom of the tank and bolts to the frame rails...

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
so you just cut the skid plate down and made new straps for the top. did you have any trouble with the gas filler hose????? how much did you cut out/ how much is it moved up in the frame?

·
I ♥ TTB
4,300 Posts
I bought the one I'm using from a 2bignw guy a few years back... It is a custom fab "basket" if you will out of 1/8" plate, I don't recall exactly how much it raised it but I'd say around 4" as a guess. it's heavy but protects the tank from rocks and prius's so I don't mind the weight...
Filler hose wasn't a problem at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts