Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1982 Bronco as a project. It's in great condition except for one thing... someone lowered the front end. I presume I just need to swap the current springs with stock ones. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
depends how much they lowered it. on a bronco's TTB suspension, the camber of the tire changes massively when the suspension ride height changes. there is some adjustability for this which an alignment shop can do. of course it's possible the beams are cut/turned, or non stock as well.. although if they're stock 4x4 beams and it wasn't converted to 2 wheel drive, i think that's unlikely.

worst case, just go to the junkyard and get front axle beams and suspension from an 80-96 f-150 or bronco and replace you're existing stuff (keep you're existing 3'rd member to keep you're gears correct though)

edit: are you sure the front end is lowered? lets see a pic of it. do the tires lean in on the top?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's deff lowered

I'd say at least 3 inches. Looking at it dead on there is noticeable 'toe in', however the tires seem to be wearing evenly. Trying to find a pic...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sry for the mult replies, having major comp issues this evening. Thats the best pic I have at the moment, I can take a better one in the am. I'm new with 4x's, but it looks like most everything is stock except the springs.....

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,231 Posts
your bronco isn't lowered. The springs and shocks are severely worn.

Replace with new stock. I recommend a lift kit.

When you reach 75 posts, you will be able to see & use the For Sale section of FSB.com, this is very helpful to you, as it is your gateway to fellow bronco owners and affordable used parts.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
Looks good for an '82.

btw, i've got a spare intake manifold with that variable venturi carb on it if you need it (free) worked when removed.

and i agree - not lowered. just replace the springs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies... However, the pic may be a bit deceiving. The wheels are 15's and the tires are 65 series. I'm really hoping that it's not lowered and the springs are just worn. Can you guys explain why you think it's not lowered? Thanks in advance guys. Paul

·
Registered
465 Posts
well if there the original 28 year old springs more than likely there sagging pretty bad. its a pretty common trait for these trucks to sag over time. I can say honestly theres probably more saggy broncos running around, at least around here than there are stock height and lifted combined.

·
Registered
9,856 Posts
they do have a block in the back stock but its just to level out the axle, it doesnt actually lift anything.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
That's the stock block/pinion shim. You can remove it and add just a pinion degree shim and it will be thinner but that's going the wrong way.

You want front springs and that should level you out.

FWIW I found a spring that isn't technically a "bolt in" but I think will work nicely. Should be 2-2.5" of lift and a little bit softer than the stock springs for a smoother ride, and maybe even a more flexible suspension....I'll know more in a week or two if there are any problems.
Basically 2"lift coils for a 78-79 from JBG. You will have to modify your lower coil mounting setup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts