Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2" body lift, could I raise the Engine and Transmission mounts 2"? I want to give the transfer case more clearance because it hangs so low. I would think I would just be able to lift the mounting points and be done with it. Almost like there was no body lift.

Is there anything else I would have to worry about? I I have a ~4" susp. lift on it already. Would I have to worry about my driveshafts, pinion angles, exhaust? I intend on building a new crossmember/skid to raise the transmission mount. I'm not sure how I would raise the engine yet. I know I could just lift it more but this seems easier and cheaper.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've been trying to find info on this as well. Not many people seem to like the idea. The jeepers do it on a regular basis, the toyota crowd has realized the benefits, but no one else seems to be looking into it. I have no mechanical skills and know I would need this done for me so I've just been talking to people, getting ideas, and looking for people who have tried this.

Raising the driveline and the gas tank would greatly increase break-over and exit angles. I know I've gotten hung on the transfer case skid several times.

·
Registered
912 Posts
sysgeek said:
Raising the driveline and the gas tank would greatly increase break-over and exit angles. I know I've gotten hung on the transfer case skid several times.
And at the same time raising your center of gravity. If you were to do something the motor mounts would be the biggest PITA because of the motor torquing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was looking at the motor mounts yesterday. They do seem like they would be a problem. I know it's done in jeeps, there are aftermarket parts to raise and lower the mounts. The other option would be to put bigger lift springs on it which would raise the COG more than just the engine and junk. I don't want to lift it more. I'd have to buy lots of stuff, plus it's just more work than I want to do. This is my DD and living in Vegas, there are parking garages to many of the places I frequent (not to mention my own garage) and clearance is an issue. There are already places I can't drive into without hitting the clearance marker. COG is overrated anyways. :goodfinge

My main goal is to give the transfer case more clearance. But the motor mounts don't seem forgiving enough to just raise the transmision mount.

So what else would I have to deal with besides the mounts?

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Is there not a reclocking kit for your BW t-case? I know there are kits for those of us with older bronco's with 208's, 203's, and 205's. If there is, that would help out with your t-case hanging too low, but you might need driveshaft adjustments and possibly your shifter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That seems like it would be easy. I think I would have to move the floor a bit to make room but that's not a big deal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I searched for clocking. I couldn't find much on doing it to my bronco. Plenty of jeep stuff from gooooogle though. :doh0715:

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
there have been several members on here that lifted there gas tank higher into the back of the truck to gain more clearance.. For max clearance you could get a fuel cell for the back.
The engine would break any kind of extended motor mounts, i dont recommend this at all. Besides it would start hitting the bottom of the wiper cowl area. My 302 is close enough as is
The trans is already close enough to the tunnel below the floor boards.
Not sure if you can reclock the BW tcase. It could probably be done fairly easy though. If you have a good mind for it and some good fab skills you could make it work.
Build a new tcase skid plate. The stock one has horrible ground clearance. Build one with a cutout that the BW will just barely come through. Or at least just be accesable through. Make it out of 3/8 in steel
You will be set

Or just lift the mofo more and get bigger tires

DC

·
Registered
53 Posts
Raising the driveline after a body lift (assuming both are equal) would not cause clearance issues in the cowl area. Remember that this discussion was assuming a body lift was already in place. I have looked at some of the motor mount lifts for the yotas and they seem pretty stable.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/drivetrain_lift/
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/MotorMount.shtml

this is the type of motor mount lift I've looked at. they seem that they are plenty strong.

I was looking at this as a possible option because a lot of states are starting to crack down on lifts and many have instituted a 4" max on suspension lifts. I was thinking that doing something like this would buy you a bit more capability and make it easier for custom skids and other upgrades.

I am still years from even being able to consider this... just gathering all the info I can. (little one on the way)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts