Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,219 Posts
I was just thinking last week of installing one, as I was moving my head back and forth, up and down, to get a reasonable view out of the too-small mirror. I've had them on cars previously and love them for the full width view, but I'm not sure whether they'd add any extra needed height. Between how far Bronco seats are from the mirror, and how far back the rear window is, it's tough to find the right viewing angle with typical short mirrors.

You would definitely ditch the factory mirror if installing a 5-panel mirror. It takes a little getting used to the overlap between the panels, but it's mostly just the learning curve of being able to see cars coming up alongside you.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your thoughts have been floating around my head too. So you had good experiences in other vehicles...I saw an OBS 350 with one installed and meant to ask the fella about it.

The stock mirror is just way too small.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've never had one, but I've been laughing at them since the 80's when they first hit the scene for all the low rider cars.

I imagine they must be useful during the daytime.
But a nightmare to use at night, what with light being directed at you from all different angles.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Stock mirror does suck though.
There are a few threads discussing slightly larger rear view mirrors that you can read up on if you need a change.
I know I'll be doing that eventually.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I imagine they must be useful during the daytime.
But a nightmare to use at night, what with light being directed at you from all different angles.
Not noticeable enough to be memorable. The only negative of them is you can't use your sun visors, generally.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Another option is a wideview mirror... lots of stuff out there on Amazon, etc. for golf carts and ATVs. I use one in our track car and it works pretty well. Most of them are under $20.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,047 Posts
Well... I've had one in the past and after getting used to it, I liked having it. Still, I understand why someone would avoid it. I've thought about getting one again for my old plow rig. It's already got the full length shelf-it installed and rear view when plowing is nothing but a good thing.
Good luck. Hope the wide view works out. Look forward to hearing about it... as long as AG/VS doesn't kill my subs again. ;)

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Another option is a wideview mirror... lots of stuff out there on Amazon, etc. for golf carts and ATVs. I use one in our track car and it works pretty well. Most of them are under $20.
Man, I can barely handle convex side mirrors. My eyes would never adjust to a convex primary mirror.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Man, I can barely handle convex side mirrors. My eyes would never adjust to a convex primary mirror.
It actually works pretty well when you're used to it. It's a lot easier than looking at a small side mirror, or one of those little convex 'button' mirrors. We use a HANS (neck protector) device when racing that attaches to the helmet and restricts side to side motion. It made using the passenger side mirror nearly impossible for me, so I installed the wideview mirror, and I can actually see much better to that side of the car now.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It actually works pretty well when you're used to it. It's a lot easier than looking at a small side mirror, or one of those little convex 'button' mirrors. We use a HANS (neck protector) device when racing that attaches to the helmet and restricts side to side motion. It made using the passenger side mirror nearly impossible for me, so I installed the wideview mirror, and I can actually see much better to that side of the car now.
I'm referring to any convex mirror, not just the little stick-on fellers. I've got full convex side mirrors on one of my cars and, while they're great for knowing there's something there, they're lousy at telling what it actually is or how close it is. I can definitely see where you're coming from with the neck restraints in a track car, but I would always view convex mirrors as a last resort in a street car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I am late. I did the wide angle mirror and I am happy with it. Its a little bit to get used to, but at least I can see the whole bed of the truck now.

For better or worse, here are some pics.
IMG_20200525_173034908_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

IMG_20200525_173025268_HDR by Paul Abbott, on Flickr

It has solved my main issue. I am going to add some wide angle circlular mirrors to the factory side mirrors so I can see down low on the side of the truck. Other than that, this works great. Because it clips on, the headlight dip works as usual. For $11 bucks or so, its a cheap and easy addition. If you don't like it, you aren't out much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts