ZBEAST
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got it, going to start on it tomorrow:beer

Attachments

·
I see Broncos
6,007 Posts
I'm just going to warn you. You will feel a strong temptation to set the f'er on fire the first time you install the cloth part. But once it's on you will feel better about it, then you will want to set it on fire all over when you try to zip in the side windows.

BTW some tips:

When you install the cab mounts put something about the same thickness as the top anchor plastic in the channels. Otherwise it will crush down in the bend and make installing the top harder.
Notch the plastic piece that goes around the bend on the cab. That should help a lot in getting it to line up properly.
Do not tighten the cam for the rear (tension) Hoop all the way down. You need it to be loose enough for you to actuate it.
If you are any good at metal fashion a lever for the cam. It will be tight for about a month.
When you install the side windows a reach-around is required for the corners. The rears are the worst. Push the corner out, pull the zipper pull from the inside of the truck and help guide it. It may or may not help to latch the bottom latch in the channel for the side windows.
The front hoop is floppy, get used to it or put a rod between it and the rear hoop. The original Kayline had this and the holes are dimpled for it but it's not included in this kit.
You may have to use pliers to pull the windows etc down and latch them into the channel. This should get better after about a month.
When installing the rear bar don't have the top latched to it. Also get some foam to press the carriage bolts up.
Don't remove the rear bar with the top putting tension on it. It hurts.

·
Registered
380 Posts
they should have had a zipper at both ends so you can roll them up but... hind sight is 20/20

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good luck keep us posted and put up some picks when done. On a side note first thing I noticed " Made In China" it just pisses me off hard to find made in USA stuff anymore.:banghead

·
ZBEAST
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so glad i dont have to take this off and on every time i go somewere! ok first off, cant use the stock clips like the inst. said u can their bolts are bigger. the very first thing i went to bolt together was the stud for the tailgate rail (this is a stud mounted to the side rail 4 the t-gate rail)the jam nut was supose to be a 1/4-20, they sent 2 1/2 13s. so i had to find 2nuts:histerica found some stainless ones, the sides went on without any problem. the cab mounts were a little tricky having to bend them in and out but doable with one person (the inst. say another person could be required). and thats were i stopped for tonight:beer

Attachments

·
ZBEAST
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
had caps with all the pics but they didnt show up w/ them? oh and the required tools are not correct on sizes. heres the required tools:thumbup

Attachments

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Only one Beer I would have said a six pack at least. Cool Delorean

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,203 Posts
thanks for clearing that up.

·
ZBEAST
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok got the t-gate peice put together (simple). but the plastic "spacers" that go at the very back of the siderails (in pic u will see it, white plastic) didnt look right and when top installed it jacks the backup so there is a gap. so took them out and it look& seals better. the bows were easy bolt in ,just dont forget to put the sleeves on (like i did:doh0715:).and then came the top, i had no problem putting it on, the side windows zipped in fine. i did set the bow locks at the lowest setting. they may need to be moved in a few weeks when the top streches a bit. only thing i dont like is the rear window doesnt "lock" into the tailgate channel. may need a modification? other than that like the way it looks and fits.:thumbup pics of the inside: think the may have changed thier design a little, the front(and rear) bow is snapped to the top, and didnt find it nessasary to notch the plastic that goes around the cab bend. the top really did go on fairly easy. :beer

Attachments

·
ZBEAST
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the rest of the pics:rofl:

Attachments

·
ZBEAST
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That looks sexy is there a boot that covers the thing when it is folded down?

I never had seen a Bricklin before I guess I didn't pay attention to the tail lights.
no boot, it wraps around the bows and then sits on the tailgate. it did come with 2 pouches, 1 for the side windows & one for the back.

·
Registered
108 Posts
yep, sitting out in a hot sun for about a day should take care of the stretching. Should be all stretched after that. Then you will just need to crank up on the bow assembly. I mostly mess with older Jeeps, but they all use the same style top and materials (that or canvas). Usually have to let the tops get nice and warm before putting them on for the first time each year. Truck looks great though! Very impressed. Is Rampage the only company around that makes a decent top? I usually use Bestop, and have on occasion had custom tops made by boat/sail places.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not bad, BUT the windows look a little unproportional, it says that the side rails bolt to the body, and it HAS SNAPS! IMO, snaps are the worst thing in the world when it comes to a soft top. Once it starts to get a little cool outside, the fabric doesnt like to stretch, and getting those snaps to reach are a PITA. I do like the Made in America part though!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm just going to warn you. You will feel a strong temptation to set the f'er on fire the first time you install the cloth part. But once it's on you will feel better about it, then you will want to set it on fire all over when you try to zip in the side windows.

BTW some tips:

When you install the cab mounts put something about the same thickness as the top anchor plastic in the channels. Otherwise it will crush down in the bend and make installing the top harder.
Notch the plastic piece that goes around the bend on the cab. That should help a lot in getting it to line up properly.
Do not tighten the cam for the rear (tension) Hoop all the way down. You need it to be loose enough for you to actuate it.
If you are any good at metal fashion a lever for the cam. It will be tight for about a month.
When you install the side windows a reach-around is required for the corners. The rears are the worst. Push the corner out, pull the zipper pull from the inside of the truck and help guide it. It may or may not help to latch the bottom latch in the channel for the side windows.
The front hoop is floppy, get used to it or put a rod between it and the rear hoop. The original Kayline had this and the holes are dimpled for it but it's not included in this kit.
You may have to use pliers to pull the windows etc down and latch them into the channel. This should get better after about a month.
When installing the rear bar don't have the top latched to it. Also get some foam to press the carriage bolts up.
Don't remove the rear bar with the top putting tension on it. It hurts.
I find you can avoid all those problems by installing the windows first and then popping the cam last.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts