Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those that have them, is the rear window suppose to go in the tailgate bar? and if it is how do you get it to do it with the tailgate shut. Only way I can get it is by doing it with gate down then put gate up while making the flap come over the top of the gate. My top is used so not 100% sure if I have ever thing in the correct way.

I have also had thoughts of just using Velcro in the back, has anyone done this? And if you did what did you use to hold the Velcro strips to the top fabric? Is the self adhesive strips of Velcro strong enough? The softtopper brand of top has this to begin with.

EDIT: I Was reading some old posts and found that some people were removing the tailgate bar to lower the gate every time, is this the correct way? I Have been leaving that in place.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was able to sew velcro onto a tonneau cover using the lady's old sewing machine. Just use heavy thread and a denim needle. Sorry I can't help with the rest, don't have a rampage.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with that being the best solution, maybe upholstery shop would not be horribly expensive to do that, the rear window comes completely out too so would not be a big deal to take somewhere like that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used adhesive backed 2" velcro(hook side) on the cross bar above the tailgate. I placed the loop side on the inside of the canvas with gorilla glue and neither one has separated in summer heat. I did this because the rear window seemed a little too long in order to lock into the track on the tailgate cross bar and stay in place.
I also use 1/4" spacer between the bed rail and the cross bar ends where it bolts on, in order to open/close the tailgate without having to loosen the cross bar nuts and raise the bar.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you remember about how many clamps you used if you clamped it to the window and velcro while the gorilla glue dried? I can handle doing that and I agree on what you said about the tail gate bar, though my gate opens and closes just fine, I did have to glue the rubber part to the back bar to keep it from coming off.
This top is actually on my 78 but that rear section is the same, I thought the rear window was long also but was thinking it was because I put it on something it was not meant to be, sounds like it maybe just how these fit though. Thanks for the info on the double sided Velcro holding up with some extra gorilla glue.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I didn't have clamps, so I just placed some weights along the entire thing to make sure everything stayed in contact while the glue dried.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts