Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have no clue what these are just came across it.. i think it might be a a security system.. but how is the system complete?? if anyone could help me identify what these are (even if it is stock) id appreciate it thanks

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
deff not stock

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had that same identical mess on a Mustang Cobra I bought a few years ago.
I never did try to figure out what it was or trace it down...
Although that car had wig-wag head lights and all sorts of crap hooked up on it...I wonder if it could have been something to do with that?

edit: I just noticed the pic of the toggle switch. The Cobra had a switch just like it and it turned on the wig-wags (flashing headlughts).
maybe that is what you have...??

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Any kind of numbers or codes printed/written on it?

·
Registered
843 Posts
If it was a security system, I would look for a speaker or something. Did you buy it from a firefighter? They usually put flashers on. Check your headlights and see if there are strobes in there, or other hidden lights.

If all else fails, flip the switch!

The switch already seems to be on, which would lead me to think that whatever that is is not working...

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found this tucked away while i was looking for any codes which i actually managed to find the FCC ID and searched it on the web and it turns out Directed Electronics Inc manufactures it.. but i still dont know what it is..

and ya i do think whatever it is it is not functioning because the switch has been on all this time.. maybe i should take it somewhere and get someone to check it out

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
It looks like some sort of flux-capasiter... Maby its for time travel...:shocked

Man i wish i had a cool thing like that in my truck :clap But seriously just follow the wires to whatever they lead to and vola...

·
Registered
73 Posts
thats an alarm , def not stock i had a prob on the 96 , my locks would go on/off all the time along with the interior lights and parking lights/ wipers...soooo weird see how the fuses are if you want it to work i don't think i've ever seen a stock alarm in a 90, but good luck keep us posted

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sweet this is pretty cool its kinda like finding a 5 dollar bill in my jeans pocket

ill look into and see what need to happen to get it working again!

·
Registered
89 Posts
my bronco had the same thing behind passengers side kick panel. we discovered it when we were trouble shooting fuel pump issues. After playing around it actually started the truck(remote start:beer). I called the old guy I bought the bronco from and he had passed away:cry, his wife said she didnt know where remote was. If you look around on the web you should be able to find a universal remote you just need the manufacturer and Fcc numbers(which you have). I started to look around, found some but lost interest. Good luck!

·
Forward Some Money
5,050 Posts
DE is a major mfg of automotive security systems. The on/off is probably the valet switch.
The circuitry in the clear box is probably the shock or motion sensor. Turn off the lights, look under the dash and thump it - usually a light will come on. Sometimes flashes green then red.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the same thing on my 78 when i bought it. directed electronics makes the 'viper' alarm brand. if there is a model # on one of the boxes you can probably search viper alarm model XXX and bring up a wiring/installation guide.
here is an example for the one i had.
http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/og/viper/G426V_07-05.pdf
I traced every wire and pulled the entire thing out. there was a voice module speaker and alarm speaker under the hood, the clear box is a shock sensor, then there was the main module and the voice module, as well as a sensor on the tailgate. yes, the small switch is most likely the valet switch.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
big brother

bvetter put your tinfoil hat on

·
Registered
121 Posts
found this tucked away while i was looking for any codes which i actually managed to find the FCC ID and searched it on the web and it turns out Directed Electronics Inc manufactures it.. but i still dont know what it is..

and ya i do think whatever it is it is not functioning because the switch has been on all this time.. maybe i should take it somewhere and get someone to check it out
You said the black box only had an FCC #? Did the box also say made in USA
and have a flag stamped in it?
If so I have one also and know it does connect tp the door locks.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it actually started the truck(remote start:beer). ...If you look around on the web you should be able to find a universal remote you just need the manufacturer and Fcc numbers(which you have). I started to look around, found some but lost interest. Good luck!
:shocked sweet thats pretty cool thanks man

You said the black box only had an FCC #? Did the box also say made in USA
and have a flag stamped in it?
If so I have one also and know it does connect tp the door locks.
yeah i can see the FCC # and actually it is made in Taiwan.. i cant tell which wires are stock and are for the system because i havnt had time to trace the wires but it appears that they go to the doors..

so im really not in the market for a security system it is a DD so it would be nice and since i have half the required parts im thinking it would be a sweet deal!

what do yall suggest doing.. going somewhere to get this thing completed or try to fix it by myself even tho i dont have a clue about electronics and alarms..

big brother

bvetter put your tinfoil hat on
i promise no aliens are coming.. its alright

·
Registered
78 Posts
I can tell its an old ass alarm, or a knock off brand, directed electronics makes most alarms, yours is most likely a hornet/avatal or something like that, the switch is valet, look under your hood, on one of the sides there should be a hood pin, dont know, prob. wont if its too old, this is what it will look like,

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/87/0a/b950_1.JPG

The thing your holding in your latest picture looks like the brain, try to find the intenna wire, looks like its all still intact... be careful though because these alarms, if you mess them up they wont let you start your car, they will disable your starter...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I don't have a valet switch and I think mine is (black box)
remote door locks.
But then I have a birds nest of wiring where the kid PO didn't
cut stereo wires to length just wire tied them up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Directed makes some good shiznit. Did that fcc id# give you any type of model number? Almost all DEI's (wether it's a viper, python, hornet etc...)made within atleast the last 5+ (maybe 10) years use the same wiring harness, so even if you don't get this one working, a new DEI might just plug into your harness and yer good to go :D.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts