Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be an ongoing "blog" about my cab swap which will take place over the next couple months.

Final plan will be-

1993 Ranger cab on my 1988 Bronco frame
Interior roll cage and tube flatbed
Dana 60 front, Ford 10.25 rear, 4.56 and locked
EFI 460/C6/BW-1356
For now, 39" Michelins but thinking about Iroks

Pic to tide you over- what my existing 39" Michelin tire looks like next to a Ranger.

http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/fullsizeranger/rangertire.jpg

Keith- feel free to post about your fullsize Ranger in here as well, can compare notes and stuff.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
lol the bottom of the bead comes up to the middle of the ranger rim and tire.

What made you decide to go with a Ranger cab and flat bed??? I dont really use the back seat either but its nice to have a top for the winter to store stuff in the bed.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Awesome! Dustin, I think it's gonna be cool. I still kinda think the hardest part might just be the wiring, esp if you want things like a functioning speedo.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
SWEET Dustin how are you going to get that 460 into the ranger though?

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TTBlows said:
Awesome! Dustin, I think it's gonna be cool. I still kinda think the hardest part might just be the wiring, esp if you want things like a functioning speedo.
Wiring isn't going to be much of a problem I don't think. Speedo is cable driven so basically the wiring going into the cab will be for the interior lighting and power and instrument cluster, not much else.

81Bronk36 said:
What made you decide to go with a Ranger cab and flat bed??? I dont really use the back seat either but its nice to have a top for the winter to store stuff in the bed.
My Bronco body is too beat up and extremely rusty underneath. It's pretty much falling apart right now. I chose the Ranger cab because it's compact and the fullsize axles/tires will protect the body pretty well. I want a flatbed for customization- I can place everything exactly where I want it and it'll be very stout and be able to take hits. I'm not sure yet but I will try to see if I can squeeze a full size spare tire between the framerails in front of the gas tank and have an access cover over it. Another big plus with the Ranger cab and flatbed is tremendously improved visibility all around.

Bronco85 said:
SWEET Dustin how are you going to get that 460 into the ranger though?
Well, the 460 is already there on the Bronco chassis. I'll set the cab where it'll clear the heads/tranny and if necessary I'll have a rear mounted radiator.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
:thumbup Awesome! I've had a project like that on my mind for a long while now. Check this one out that I saw at Uwharrie last year, it was a Mitsubishi MightyMax cab, not sure what frame it was on though. I kind of liked what he did with the exoskeleton, why are you going with the internal cage? The cab of a ranger feels cramped enough to me without adding a cage inside of it. Just a thought.

·
Registered
482 Posts
the mighty max looks bad ass...
i feel your ranger will look bad ass dustin.. better then the mighty max...

·
Support our troops!
153 Posts
Giving up on the big yellow beast body eh?

Cool Dustin, I can't wait to see your progress. I am still hooked on what Massey did with his Bronco. Someday I want to do the same.

dc

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Dustball said:
Hey Keith- how do you feel your lateral stability will be with your setup since your springs are going to be farther inboard than mine will be?
I actually think it'll be great. I mean center to center of my springs is basically same as, say, Dave Young, and every '73-91 live axle Chevy/GM (at least up front). At least some GMs had pretty narrow spring spacing in the rear, too.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
plug ugly said:
cool deal guys, looking forward to the thread.

Out of interest Dustin, why not an extra cab? You have plenty of frame dont you?
I wanted an x-cab but a rust free one is incredibly hard to find around here under $1k. I picked up this white one from Michigan for $600, body is in excellent shape.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
kf4amu said:
What kind of shape is your soft top in Dustin? Gettin rid of it by any chance?
-Will
89 XLT 460
It's in very well used condition and I am selling it. However, someone on the board has already paid a deposit on it.

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the Ranger interior stripped and the cab pulled off the frame.

Stripped interior-
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/fullsizeranger/interiorstripped.jpg

Getting the cab in the air was a bit tricky. My hoist isn't tall enough to lift from the top so I ended up wrapping a strap around the floor and lifting through the window. It was pretty tipsy but nothing I couldn't handle-
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/fullsizeranger/cabhanging.jpg

Cab rolled into the garage on two furniture dollys-
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/fullsizeranger/cabgarage2.jpg

Bare frame-
http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/fullsizeranger/framestripped.jpg

Next up is to strip the Bronco interior bare and get the body onto my trailer for the scrap yard along with the Ranger frame. Not quite sure how I want to go about doing that yet.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.