Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It goes on super easy. I used their spray gun with an adjustable nozzle turned out 6-8 turns.

U-POL Raptor Tintable Urethane... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074KPG3CN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I ran a pressure gauge on the gun (comes with it) and a filter/ water separator. I ran my tank pressure at 110 psi and the gun pressure at 65 psi and I sprayed about 30” away from the surface. You’ll need pretty good air volume to spray without stopping just like any paint.

The spray distance and pressure control the texture of the liner. High pressure and farther away makes a finer texture with more of a mat finish. Low and close makes a flatter texture and s glossy finish.

I used 12 bottles on my exterior but could have used a couple more for a little better coverage.

I used standard 2K automotive color tint - mid 80’s Ford Dark Bright Blue Metallic. I think the mix was 750 ml raptor, 250 ml hardener, 100 color but double check the UPol site to be sure.

You won’t really see the metallic in the RL but it will sparkle at an angle from it.

Straight on

Angle in the sun

Black high pressure and 30” away

Lower pressure and closer shooting

I scuffed everything with 120 grit on an electric orbital sander prior to applying and primed with UPOL 8 Self Etching Primer

You do not need to prime over the Acid 8 - the RL shoots right on it.

I also applied POR-15 with a brush to any rust spots and to the bottom 12” or so of the entire body. I used a brush. It goes on easy and turns into a mirror like finish that you need to scuff or acid etch prior to applying the RL or it will just peel off the POR-15.

I would do it again. Practice a bit to get the texture and color you want. I did two / three coats. If you are going over a big color change, either prime everything or count on 3 coats for the best job. Use a respirator - it’s nasty stuff. I mean really nasty.

It doesn’t overspray much but whatever you hit, it sticks to pretty good. Like garage floors etc. and then the bottoms of your shoes and the driveway gravel.......just about broke my neck when I stepped back into the garage and my shoe sole was covered in gravel and hit the concrete! I had to sand it off the bottom of my shoes!

Do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Awesome! I think I finally have my wife talked into me using this stuff. She was wanting me to pay for a nice paint job but I don't plant for it to stay pristine. :)
I seen where one of the FOTM guys (maybe you) did a clear coat over the bedliner and it kept dirt etc from sticking as bad. I would think it would reduce fading some what too.

·
Premium Member
1986 Bronco, 351w, Edelbrock aluminum top end, Holley 600, 4" BDS lift, 35" Maxxis Razr's, stuff..
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah, Raptor is UV stable so it isn’t supposed to fade.

I’ve found the best way to clean it is to just hit it with the power washer and it looks new.

Cost me about $500-$600 for the exterior - the tint color was $100 of that.

·
Premium Member
1991 Ford Bronco, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
301 Posts
@biggum how did the Raptor Liner hold up? I am considering this on my Bronco. Now that you have lived with it for awhile is there anything you would have done differently?

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would do it again.

Make sure you use a heavy grit sand paper so you get a good rough base to stick to.

Here it is now.

Where a big, dead branch got me.

Here is where I chipped a piece off taking my hardtop off

The tintable stuff is white and if you really gouge it like I did with that branch you can see the white in it.

I’m going to have a pint of regular paint made up the dark bright blue metallic made up to do touch up.

Practice a little first. The air pressure and the distance you are from the paint surface controls the texture. I did mine about 3 feet back and I think I was around 60psi? Which gave me a little finer texture which I like.

If you get too close it does this

See how it’s more of a splat that sand paper like? You may like that though, just know what causes it.

Good luck

Let me know if you have other questions.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The back corner is in daylight, the others are under my fluorescent lights.

·
Premium Member
1991 Ford Bronco, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
301 Posts
Thanks Brother. It looks like it has held up pretty well. Nice job on the finish. I think I will try the interior first so I can figure out the pattern spray pressure/distance. Did it offer any sound deadening with the coverage that you have noticed?
I am looking into some lizard skin/ dynamat as well to offer some help with ambient noise.
How rough is it to the touch? Your build page is awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks @TheWolf I appreciate that.

I’d say the texture is almost like a scotch brite pad, it’s more rough bumps than smooth bumps if that helps. Here is a photo with a quarter in it for scale.

I didn’t notice any sound deadening.

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Man is that blue bitchin or what! Sorry - I think I put both coats on the same day and it takes about 3 days to be cured. Wear a good charcoal mask - using with automotive tinting paint it will knock you out cold in short order. They also sell it in spray cans now so you could get one and try it out without a bunch of front end cost. I did mine for about $600 total including sand paper, cleaner, paint, liner, POR-15, and the gun which came with the 8 bottle kit - you'll need at leas 12 bottles to do the outside. The kit I got had a gun with an adjustable tip, a gauge, and a water separator. Here is there FAQ Faqs - Raptor

·
Registered
733 Posts
Man is that blue bitchin or what! Sorry - I think I put both coats on the same day and it takes about 3 days to be cured. Wear a good charcoal mask - using with automotive tinting paint it will knock you out cold in short order. They also sell it in spray cans now so you could get one and try it out without a bunch of front end cost. I did mine for about $600 total including sand paper, cleaner, paint, liner, POR-15, and the gun which came with the 8 bottle kit - you'll need at leas 12 bottles to do the outside. The kit I got had a gun with an adjustable tip, a gauge, and a water separator. Here is there FAQ Faqs - Raptor
Did you do the inside and all that? Wondering how to round off on the inside of fenders/doors etc. If i were to do it and I'm real inclined to I'd want to do it two tone to mimic my original paint scheme. Burgundy red and that cream stripe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your Bronco is sharp! I took all the interior panels off and painted enough that the seam would be covered by the panels. I sprayed into everywhere I could reasonably get. I painted the bed area black. I painted the dash and panels as well, made the kick boards from some thin plywood and painted with that rubberized tool handle stuff, I pulled all the carpets and put down rubber floor so I was pretty well into having it apart. I actually did the outside and then after I got the inside pulled apart to work on a few months later I painted inside the doors and the rockers etc.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Your Bronco is sharp! I took all the interior panels off and painted enough that the seam would be covered by the panels. I sprayed into everywhere I could reasonably get. I painted the bed area black. I painted the dash and panels as well, made the kick boards from some thin plywood and painted with that rubberized tool handle stuff, I pulled all the carpets and put down rubber floor so I was pretty well into having it apart. I actually did the outside and then after I got the inside pulled apart to work on a few months later I painted inside the doors and the rockers etc. View attachment 164663 View attachment 164664 View attachment 164665 View attachment 164666 View attachment 164667 View attachment 164668
Not mine unfortunately just what it used to look like with that exact paint scheme, has the PO peeling black rattle can special on it right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would buy a can of the black and try/practice taping for the two tone.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you want to know how to mask for multiple colors contact IdaSho on Pirate. He sprayed multiple colors on his camper recently and it came out great. He does have a thread running over there with pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts