Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been on here in awhile. Lately on start up when the engine is cold after I shift out of park i hear a metalic rattle that I can only describe as coin being thrown around in a metal pipe. It'll do it while moving or not too, but once I drive around it goes away. I'm wondering if it might be a cat going out or something else.

·
Side step it
1,583 Posts
Grab a piece of hose and try to listen around on the valve covers. I would also check to see if it may be a belt tensioner. Make sure you're running a motorcraft oil filter because ones like Fram, Pur, Wix, etc. will sort of starve you motor at start up. Just went through it with a Fram Tough one on my 97' F150. Switched to a FL820 Motorcraft and the noise went away.....-Kevin- :thumbup

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Loose baffel in the CAT or muffler, goes away when it heats up...............?

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
273 Posts
Does it sound like its coming from the valve covers, could be the lifters not pumped up and the valves rattling. No oil in lifters = lots of clearance between rocker and valve tappet.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Haven't been on here in awhile. Lately on start up when the engine is cold after I shift out of park i hear a metalic rattle that I can only describe as coin being thrown around in a metal pipe. It'll do it while moving or not too, but once I drive around it goes away. I'm wondering if it might be a cat going out or something else.
Loose baffel in the CAT or muffler, goes away when it heats up...............?

Good Luck ~ :thumbup
This.

Check your exhaust pipes @ the connections. I had a clamp rust and break which allowed 2 pipes to slide back and forth cause a nasty rattle sound. $7 for a new SS clamp.

Assuming that this isn't associated with anything under the hood.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys

Managed to get a buddy to shift the truck while I layed next to it. Turns it was the heat shield at the bend behind the front right tire. Must've had a weld break off on it. So just ripped it off didn't appear to be close to anything.

Btw have always run motorcraft filters. Heard too many horror stories about the others.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the same problem, turns out my exhaust hangers are all dry-rotted so the cat is resting on the tranny crossmember. Need to buy me some new rubbers.

·
Registered
93 Posts
switched back to motorcraft oil filter and noise is gone...staying away from Fram from now on
I had to learn this the hard way.:whiteflag 6 frams in 2.5 years (i put about 15,000 miles a year average on my vehicles):banghead:cry and every other filter was a different type. My discount at school was through autozone... Motorcraft helped the best during Wyoming Winters as far as cold start noise. Then a valve job and lifters solved the rest of the problem. Too bad I wrecked the truck shortly after fixing it up all nice.:duh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts