Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok now that I have some light I have figured out what has happened. The peice connecting the shifter to the transfer case has come loose. It's about 8x1x1/8 inch peice has a hole in each end. I can still move the shifter and the switch on the case did see much if anny wear. The weired thing I noticed was it is not a bolt on thing it uses weired fastiners. Is there anyway to replace it with bolts or if not where could I get the fasteners? The 8 inch peice can be reused it looks fine.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Bolts would be fine if done correctly, they might come loose at some point, but if you follow this procedure they may not...

get a slightly longer bolt than you need, for each bolt use 2 nuts. You will also want some BLUE thread locker. Put the bolt through the 2 pieces, apply blue thread locker, run the first nut down till it's very close (not tight) just close enough to hold it together and not get any wiggle. Then apply some more blue thread locker and run the second nut down to the first one, use 2 wrenches on the NUTS and tighten them together. Let it dry for a bit and you should be good to go. Just make sure you don't have any clearance issues when shifting. Oh and just to be clear, use washers on the nut head and between the first bolt and the shifter rod.

the second nut will hold the first nut from going anywhere, they kinda work against each other to keep movement from happening. The blue threadlocker is just further insurance against movement. I say blue because the red usually requires heat to remove it, and the red is a little bit of overkill for this application.

although, I'm sure you could find the proper parts and do it "right" for not much money, but I'm sure it would cost more than a couple of dollars in bolts and a tube of thread locker. As long as you don't have any clearance issues it should be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts