Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to replace the stock front and rear speakers. I am not hooking up an amp or sub, I am just looking for good speakers to replace the dead front speakers and dying rear speakers.
If I get your basic $50 or $60 per pair speakers from Best But/Circuit City/Wherever will these "bolt" right in after taking the original speakers out OR will I have to rewire the new speakers?
Thanks!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 94 XLT.

I thought that may be the case, however, that sounded too easy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
do you have a new head unit?

if you get new speakers, the stock head unit will drive them, but not very well...

you're better off getting //any// new head unit. the sound will be clearer and more powerful, even without an amp.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
:hump
I agree, just assumed you wanted to get out cheap. But yeah, with the aftermarket speakers you would get a much better sound with a good head unit You can get pretty decent speakers like at circuit city, for $ 69 to $ 89 a pair. And if your thinking new head unit, I suggest going to at least 45w per channel and up. Not alot more $$ than the lower end models.......

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info and to answer your question, I do indeed have an aftermarket head unit.
I installed it a few months ago. It is a Kenwood AM/FM/CD head unit that I got from a fellow Bronco owner (from either this site or the MBB site or the 2 Big Broncos Mailing list....I can' recall now).
I do not recall what model Kenwood it is, but it is pretty nice (especially compare to the stock unit).

Would I be correct to assume that the process would pretty much be pull the stock speakers, then install the new ones....no need to pull the head unit again is there?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
That correct, just rewire to the new speakers. You will notice a big difference now. By the way, you say you bought the head unit used, and are you sure its the speakers that are cutting out and not a problem with the head unit out put? just a thought....

Good luck :thumbup

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not think about that, but I did have the speaker problems well before the installation of the new(used) head unit.
Thanks again!
:beer

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
on my front speakers, the holes in the door didn't match up with the screw holes in the speakers. i am running POLK es series 6 1/2 in the front. all you have to do is drill a small hole where you want the screw to go and then use a self tapping screw.

for the wiring, circuit city and crutchfield both sell a harness that connects to the factory wiring harness, so you don't have to splice wires. they are like $5 a piece

1 - 12 of 12 Posts