Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,
Not sure where to start on this, so I'll just dive in.
As some of you know, my wife was diagnosed with cancer in early 2017. She underwent chemo and radiation to get it down to where they could do surgery, and then it was surgically removed. She recovered extremely well, and we were hoping that was all of it, and waiting for the day when they'd give us the all clear.

January of last year, it was discovered that it had spread throughout all of her lymph nodes. They had a plan and administered chemo again. This time much stronger and for a longer time, all the way up until about October. They then tried a drug that was supposed to stabilize things and keep them from progressing.

The short of it is, it didn't work. Since December, we've found that it's spread to her liver and her upper intestine (which makes it extremely painful to eat anything). We went to a research center in Seattle which specializes in this type of cancer as a last resort, and they said there's very little more that can be done.

There's an experimental drug they're trying to get her on, but at most it'll only slow things down and give her time. The prognosis is that she has 8 months. More, if the drug works, but it's nothing long term. She's only 38.
Those are of course only based on averages, but there's no question that it's only a matter of time.

I really don't know what I'm asking anyone for, or what I'm expecting from this, but could definitely use some moral support.

·
Registered
1986 Ford Bronco, 351w with edelbrock aluminum top end and holly 600.
2,281 Posts
I don’t know what to say. What a tough road. You know your wife best, try to do what you know would make her the most happy/secure/comfortable. The two of you have a difficult path ahead - be there for her the best you can and make sure you take time for yourself to re-energize to be there for her again. You both are in my prayers and thoughts. Best of luck with this chapter. So sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,400 Posts
I'm so sad to hear this. I will reiterate what biggum said and just tell you to spend as much time with her as you can. Have fun together and do the things you have been putting off for later. I will include you guys in my prayers and I hope that her situation miraculously improves. Stranger things have happened - keep the faith! All my best to you guys...

·
Super Moderator
24,962 Posts
May you two cherish your life together. Think about reuniting in the future. It does help.
Al

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 12V P-Pump Cummins, ZF5, Dana 60 Front, Sterling 10.25 Rear
421 Posts
I can only imagine what you’re going through man. I’ll echo the gentleman above me in that I’d imagine making her felt cared for and supported is the best thing you can do. I’m sure I speak for many of us when I say please let us know if there is anything we can do for you two during this time. We’re here for ya.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,344 Posts
That is so heart wrenching. I couldn't even imagine what y'all are going thru. On a positive note I would say start looking at cancer doctors in Israel. Last I heard they were on the doorstep of a cure (they're years ahead of us on cancer research). Here's a Google search link to get u started Israel cancer cure - Google Search
I know time is an issue so don't wait, and don't expect American doctors to help you in that respect. It's at least something worth looking into.
I wish I had more to offer, all I can really say is try to keep upbeat in the face of adversity. I know it's not easy. If y'all are faithful, maybe see if a priest can visit to do a blessing for her. Miracles happen every day... I'll be praying for one for your family. Sending strength and healing energy your way ❤

·
Registered
460 Posts
Stay tough brother. I will be praying for your wife, you, and your family. I lost my aunt (mid 40s) to cancer last year. Sometimes it gets the ones that truly don’t deserve it and there is no rhyme or reason to it. It’s never a place we want to be in, but I hope y’all can find peace during this ordeal like we did.

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
So sorry to hear about this great trial you guys are going through. I echo the thoughts that have gone before. Cancer is a terrible thing. It just took my mother-in-law, but she had lived a full life. My prayer is the Lord will give you both the grace and strength you need in the days to come.

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
4,964 Posts
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I lost my ex wife to cancer at 49. Best advice I can give you is be there for her and be strong. Again, prayers sent and remember, we are here for you, even if you just need a place to vent.

·
--------------
'96 XL EEC-V 347 E40D 1356 411 6" lift 35x12.50x15
4,386 Posts
Brudda' J,
I Know this feels like the worst kick in the guts You have ever felt.

My heart goes out to you....
We will be praying for You Both..

Stay Strong for Her and don't forget take care of Yourself also.

Dragon
( I think this is "counter" to your lifestyle but,
Smoking a little reefer should help her with the nausea.)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The most heartfelt thing I can say is I wish I was there. Typed words really have little effect for me. Hug her and try to make her laugh as much as you can. Even if only for a moment, laughing can make you forget. Gather family and friends as close as you can. Do as many things and experience as much as you can while she is here. I do believe there are cures out there and many are not allowed here in the U.S. because of money grubbing pharma. I would certainly research my A$$ off and see if anything viable comes into view. I have talked to way too many people that have gone over seas to have surgeries and saved 95% of the U.S. cost with better facilities and better doctors. Try to keep the Faith. In the end that's all we have is faith and family.

Swamp

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,304 Posts
Damnit! That sucks real bad. I hate to see this. I had such a good time with you two last year in Moab!

To echo Dragon's sentiments, maybe some edibles would help make her more comfortable. They don't have the same effect as smoking, but instead provide more of a relaxed body experience. And you arent smoking it, getting all the bad stuff. Coda makes really good chocolates of this nature.

I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, hoping for a miracle. Take care of her, and treasure every moment. We are all here for you buddy.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9,987 Posts
Man, I'm so sorry to hear this. I had a friend go through this with his wife and it was tough for him too.
There's been lots of things said here. LIVE, LAUGH, LOVE. Treasure each moment you still have with her. And most importantly of all, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF TOO. I hope the prognosis changes. I also hope you have close friends and family that will be by your side physically, they will help you the most. If not, your other close friend are only a few keyboard strokes away. We're all here brother, with open arms. Hugs, my friend. Take care.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
There is not much anyone can say to take away the pain. How you deal with this will be a true test of your inner strength and depth of your soul. I think sharing will help and feel proud to be a member of a group that you trust enough to share this with. We got you man..... whatever you need.

·
Registered
209 Posts
@AbandonedBronco i feel your pain. I watched my mom fight through cancer for 17 years. At first it was breast cancer which she was able to beat in a few short years, then It came back. The doctors hit her with more radiation and had it licked, but her blood counts were still way off. Then they found the cancer in her bones... after that it was a very quick downward dive.

spend as much time with her as you can. Put off things for today that can wait for tomorrow. Take her to that special place she has always wanted to go to.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts