Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Im currently running 44" tires with the stock 44 front 9" rear. Im trying to do this thing up right. Oh yeah its a 79 by the way. From what I understand the Dana 60 is a direct bolt in for the rear. What about the rest and which is really the best. I dont plan to severly mud this thing I just want it to look mean and not to break or have to replace parts on a monthly basis. Also what about the front is there a direct replacement for the front. I know the dana 60 has to be modified a little to fit. Are there any other that might be better or easier to put in that will hold up better. Im kinda new to the whole axle with big tires thing. Ive never had something quite this in depth to mess with. I work at a repair shop where we just fix normal everyday things. We dont get into upgrading or anything like fabbing. For right now Im just replacing all the parts currently on the axels like bearings and U joints. Im hoping they will last long enough for me to do it right.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Keep researching, both here and on other sites. A 14 bolt is also a good rear axle option so keep it in mind in addition to the D60. As for the front a D44 will not hold up to 44" tires, period. It might last for a while, but even using it as a daily driver will wear things like ball joints and bearings out fast. Plan on upgrading the front to a D60 as well. It'll cost you some money but it's the best option by far. Good luck.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
misterrick said:
Alright Im currently running 44" tires with the stock 44 front 9" rear. Im trying to do this thing up right. Oh yeah its a 79 by the way. From what I understand the Dana 60 is a direct bolt in for the rear. What about the rest and which is really the best. I dont plan to severly mud this thing I just want it to look mean and not to break or have to replace parts on a monthly basis. Also what about the front is there a direct replacement for the front. I know the dana 60 has to be modified a little to fit. Are there any other that might be better or easier to put in that will hold up better. Im kinda new to the whole axle with big tires thing. Ive never had something quite this in depth to mess with. I work at a repair shop where we just fix normal everyday things. We dont get into upgrading or anything like fabbing. For right now Im just replacing all the parts currently on the axels like bearings and U joints. Im hoping they will last long enough for me to do it right.
with 44" tires, you need front and rear axles. for reliability, a D60 front will work, and the rear I would skip the 60 and go 70. D60 rear is nice (I run one) but not able to handle tires much over 38" unless you wheel lightly. you mentioned reliability, so with 44's it's best to just look at an axle that has all the items to handle that tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts