Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, this is not only my best off road stories, but one of my best overall adventure stories that's guarantted to get a party rolling.... :beer

When I was in college I raced Mountain bikes and spent my summers in New Mexico working and racing. I drove the first 4x4 I ever owned, an '84 S-10 Blazer (2 door, V6,). It was Red and White two tone with the white sandwiched in the middle. I hadn't lig=fted it, but put 265's on it (about as big as would fit).

Anyway, one Saturday a friend and I went to pre-ride an "epic" (50-mile) course that we were to race in a couple weeks. The course was located about 45 miles north of Albuquerque, in a place called Cochiti. My friends family owned a cabin nearby.

The ride took us 8 hours, including getting lost, fixing flat tires and inspecting certain areas of the course. It was dark. We were tired and went to his cabin for some spaghetti to re-fuel.

After eating he invited me to stay. But I was unprepared and only had my bike shorts to sleep in which were uncomforatable and white from sweat residue. I was looking forward to getting back to Albuquerque to my own bed. So I struck out, heading South on I-25, setting the cruise control at about 70mph. :popc1:

Next thing you know, I was startled by the sound of my tires hitting the dirt!! I had drifted off into the median and the sound awoke me! I opened my eyes just in time to see one of those steel reflector posts (about 4 feet high with a little round reflector at the top) whip under the front of my Blazer like a piece of wet spagetti! And I mean whip! :shocked

The median was wide and sunken from the level of the highway by maybe 5 feet. So I didn't try to jerk the wheel back onto the road, I just went with it for a second. Trouble was, there was a turn-around only about 100 yards ahead, the kind that only Highway Patrol are allowed to use. I hadn't slowed to any less than 50mph when I hit that thing like a wall! My head whiplashed forward and then back, pinned to the seat as my Blazer launched into the sky like a rocket! There was no nice transition, but the grade of the side of the turn around must have been just shallow enough to miss my bumber. (good approach angle on those Blazers)! :wacko

So here I am looking at the stars flying like Evel Knevel. I have no idea how far or high I went, but it was some hang time. I would guess 15-20 feet in the air and maybe 35-50 yards in distance. Luckily, I was vertical enough that by the time I re-entered the atmoshere my nose wasn't pointed at the ground. I actually landed on all 4's at about the same time.:wowcb:

The axles bottomed on the frame hard and my head was whiplashed toward the steering wheel again as the S-10 bounced back into the air. :histerica My second landing wasn't quite as nice. The front tires hit first and the back tried coming around to the right. So I was a bit sideways. I turned to the right to compensate, and had my feet burying the brake pedal through the firewall. The truck continued to skid/slide through the middle of the brush filled median to a stop. :chili:

Traffic going both directions on I-25 had come to stop. Just headlights shining on about a half mile of dust. I needed to let them know I was okay so I turned on the Hazard lights and got out. What a sight they must have seen!! Can you imagine what the Northbound traffic experienced viewing my headlights bouncing along, then into the sky, then into the ground and all around?! :uhoh3

I was shaking pretty badly and had to breathe for a second, thanking God that I was still alive. But how was my poor Blazer? I thought the oil pan must have been smashed, the radiator must have been punctured, that the tires must have blown! Looking under the front bumper I was completely surpised to find nothing was draining or hanging from the bottom. :angel

Traffic started moving again. I took a bow and got back into the driver's side, WIDE AWAKE! Back up on the freeway, there wasn't a shake or even a shimmy. I drove the rest of the way home thinking about how lucky I was and how when (if) I had children, I would make sure they had a vehicle as safe and worthy as this S-10 was.

Total damage was a bend in the front bumper and a dent in the hood from where the reflector post had lashed me. :toothless

I still can't believe I made it through that one. :drinkbud

THE END.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Holy Roads.....

I am about 20 minutes from that spot and the funny thing is people still tell that story around here......New Mexico Highways are full of angels.

I will tell you that about 50 miles from where you did this, I hit a patch of ice in my Yukon and went across the interstate 4 lanes and over and managed to unpin myself and get out of the car with not a single bruise...and

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup. I see you live in Rio Rancho. My family still lives in Sandia Heights, even though I now reside in Salt Lake.

Are you saying that my Evel Knevel death jump story is told by witnesses around New Mexico? Or that lots of New Mexicans have stories about I-25 accidents?

Good way to get rid of a Yukon. Used the insurance money to get a Bronco, eh?!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts