Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am to the point of either going with the AutoFab or Camburg beams and extended radius arms on the Bronco. I have worked on TTB trucks for over 20 years and have seen problems with most lifts and want something that is going handle the road as good as a tight (not all worn-out) stock set-up. With the angle of the steering is there any bump-steer problems at hi-way speeds? I am assuming the radius arms are designed for at least 4 degrees of caster with there recommended springs.
The main use for the Bronco is more daily driver and 1 or 2 trips to the dunes a year. I figure on just the basic system with stock spring buckets and Bilstein 5100's. I am also running the stock wheels with 33x12.50 Goodyear Silent Armors. Still figuring out what to do on the rear. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I don't know why you would want to drop that kind of coin on a desert set up for a daily driven truck that will only see dune play 2 times a year.

Get a Rancho, or superlift lift kit, some deavers in the rear, and call it a day.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It's no different from what I'm wanting to do with mine. It's my second vehicle and will see far far more street time than dirt.
Ok, so what's your point? Do you want to e argue or what? I simply gave my opinion, you don't need to get your feelings hurt:doh0715: Have a nice evening:banghead

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen to many alignment and frame issues with "off the shelf" lifts and want to do it right and once.... Also I had a customer about 10 years ago that did a full AutoFab long-travel front and rear to a early 80s F150 4x4 with Ashely fenders and glass bed sides......... After seeing that front end, I knew if I ever did a TTB truck, it would be with a set up like that. Problem is that the truck was never driven on the street and do not even know if he is around anymore to see how it held up.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Mike, I've owned three Autofab equipped trucks and all three (including the Bronco I currently drive) have driven exceptionally well on and off-road. Until recently I drove the Bronco daily (I stopped driving it because I got a more economical family friendly beater). I still use it to take the family camping with trailer in tow. I would argue that my Bronco drives and rides better than most lifted Broncos and even better than a lot of stock ill-maintained Broncos. Keep in mind that this is without sway-bars.

Of course, one major variable is shock valving. Even with well thought-out suspension, shocks can make or break the ride and handling... on and off-road. My truck has some unique ride and handling characteristics because of shock valving.

With the angle of the steering is there any bump-steer problems at hi-way speeds?
Because the steering and beam pivots remain stock, the steering geometry doesn't get butchered like it does with typical drop-bracket kits. Freeway speeds... no problem. I keep up with freeway traffic in my Bronco and don't have any issues. I used to drive my Autofab Ranger to Mexico doing 85-90mph, pound the hell out of it and drive it home without fail or wandering.

I am assuming the radius arms are designed for at least 4 degrees of caster with there recommended springs
Correct. The caster measurements on all my trucks has always been great. You made a great point when you said "with there recommended springs". Too often people mix and match parts and end up with major alignment and geometry issues.

The main use for the Bronco is more daily driver and 1 or 2 trips to the dunes a year. I figure on just the basic system with stock spring buckets and Bilstein 5100's. I am also running the stock wheels with 33x12.50 Goodyear Silent Armors. Still figuring out what to do on the rear. Thanks.
I think the basic kit will serve you well. Make sure you set up your limit straps and bump stops correctly and have fun!

·
Registered
809 Posts
i have the autofab setup on my fsb and am very happy with the street driving characteristics. i use it as a chase truck mostly and have put thousands of miles on it in baja and local races, and most of those miles are on graded roads or pavement. camburg also makes great products, i don't think you can go wrong either way. but make sure you don't "under shock" it, with that much travel i don't think 5100's will do it.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Mike, I've owned three Autofab equipped trucks and all three (including the Bronco I currently drive) have driven exceptionally well on and off-road. Until recently I drove the Bronco daily (I stopped driving it because I got a more economical family friendly beater). I still use it to take the family camping with trailer in tow. I would argue that my Bronco drives and rides better than most lifted Broncos and even better than a lot of stock ill-maintained Broncos. Keep in mind that this is without sway-bars.

Of course, one major variable is shock valving. Even with well thought-out suspension, shocks can make or break the ride and handling... on and off-road. My truck has some unique ride and handling characteristics because of shock valving.

Because the steering and beam pivots remain stock, the steering geometry doesn't get butchered like it does with typical drop-bracket kits. Freeway speeds... no problem. I keep up with freeway traffic in my Bronco and don't have any issues. I used to drive my Autofab Ranger to Mexico doing 85-90mph, pound the hell out of it and drive it home without fail or wandering.

Correct. The caster measurements on all my trucks has always been great. You made a great point when you said "with there recommended springs". Too often people mix and match parts and end up with major alignment and geometry issues.

I think the basic kit will serve you well. Make sure you set up your limit straps and bump stops correctly and have fun!
I knew I wouldn't have to chime in on this one Steve just said it all. :twotu:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Guys! That is what I was looking for. I think I am going to get the Autofab beams, radius arms with bushings, and springs to get the front set. For now I think some 4" Deavers for the rear and see what is left for the shocks. The whole truck is apart right now (painting the underside of the body and painting the frame) and have removed all the rivits in the frame and replacing them with grade 8 hardware (seen way to many loose rivits cause problems like the crossmember "popping" while turning at a stop ect...). Also welding the tubes on the 8.8 before they start to twist.
The whole idea of the project is to have a family cruiser that runs like a Gen 1 Lightning, looks all factory done, stock like durability and can take a pounding when need be;).

·
Registered
971 Posts
It has all been said well but for a first hand on the camburg setup it works quite well for street and play. The 5100s up front seem to do the job quite nicely (dual set up). Either product is a good choice IMO an dwill achieve what you are looking for.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Just for knowledge The autofab arms run about 5-6 degrees of caster and the camberg arms run about 8-10 degrees depending on spring choices.Mine run about the same. Deaver or autofab rear springs are awsome. As far as i am concerned bilstien is the only way to go. The deaver coils are a little soft for a daily driver but not too bad. Ditch the swaybays no mater what. My lifted bronco is way nicer to drive than my stock bronco is by FAR.

·
Bronco Master
596 Posts

+1 on Steve's post. Mine rides well on the road and gives good tire wear. My shocks are valved very loose, and thus there is more lean than most people would be comfortable with. I don't run swaybars either.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 20 Posts