Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I don't think I actually know enough about suspension to post in the forum for it, so here I am in the flame free zone! I am interested in getting mid/long travel suspension on my rig.

So here is my question what do I actually need to upgrade and do? There's a lot of info out there for people who have some sort of knowledge on what they need, but for someone like me, who doesn't know jack shiz, where should I start researchin?

Basically I know I would need shocks, springs and.... Yeah that's it. Do I need to lift? Would a long travel suspension essentially have a lift built into it?

I cannot stress enough how lost I am here.

I basically just want to screw around in the Arizona desert. No thing hardcore by any means (that's why I have a dirt bike) but I do want to be able to whiz through desert trails and stuff. Nothing like straight up rock climbing, but some light technical stuff too.

Thanks all

·
Registered
38 Posts
The best advice I can give you is get a good idea of what kind of off-roading you plan to do,what size of tire or lift that will accommodate your needs,and then go to a local off-road shop or call the lift companies that you are interested in ask questions then determine what you need to purchase.
There are so many opinions and choices out there it makes it tough,it just depends on how much $ you want to spend.When buying a lift you usually get what you for not saying you need to buy the most expensive kit but you will be money ahead if you know what exactly you are going to do when off-roading before you purchase anything.Best of luck

·
Registered
505 Posts
when I hear long travel suspension, i think jeeps. there arent any Long travel systems out there for BKO's that Ive heard of, but a mild lift would do you good. You say you will be doing dessert trails, so you dont neccessarily need more than 4 inches of lift (if you plan on keeping the TTB). If you plan on going the SAS route, 6 -8" would be good.

Factory TTB lifts are easy to find. one of the most popular i've seen on this forum is from BroncoGraveyard.com

SAS (solid axle swap) are mostly custom. though i hear Broncoair.com has some neat stuff for SAS.

like cbsbronco said, it all depends on how much $ your willing to throw at ur BKO

·
Registered
709 Posts
From what I gather from what you said, I would save your money get some lockers put some 33s on it maybe 410 gears and call it good. You can do quite a bit with that setup. since you don't want to go hardcore that would be my 2 cents

·
Registered
709 Posts
also I would start here
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17022

it has all the lift info you need and more.

Then I would use the search and when you can't find what your are looking for search again with different words. If you think it, its been discussed. Its incredible the amount of info on this site

1 - 5 of 5 Posts