Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys so i found a green/tan(love that combo) 96 eb in central fl. the current owner bought it from the original owner from right there in central fl. The truck is used as a daily driver but appears to be in excellent condition no dents no rust. He says has service records all the way back to window sticker. it has 246,000 miles on it:( he says about 4 years ago 50k ago they had the motor freshened (heads off etc..) transmission gone through and all. the drivers seat typical leather cracking etc.. ac good. I will only use this for a weekend cruiser and to ride boat to marina and it should see like 6-10k a year. its a little high at like 5000-5200 but i am really seriously interested because of how nicely kept it is.Thoughts?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,050 Posts
If its nice I would not be too afraid of the miles. It somewhat depends on your budget and if you wanted to put in a new engine or not like you may have to eventually. Do they have proof of the engine and trans work? These trucks are old enough that actual condition is what matters and not the miles so much. I would much rather have a pristine body that needs nothing but with a tired engine then one that has a brand new crate engine and is a rust bucket. I would not be worried about the engine at 250k the trans is what would typically need attention by then and it sounds like its already been done, that is the most expensive thing on these trucks to get rebuilt. Good running engines can be had for less then 1k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I hope he can prove that the transmission has been done when I go look at the truck. just so far from the pics it looks nearly flawless.

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
I agree, the transmission is your biggest concern. You can also pull the dipstick and smear some of the motor oil on a white towel. It should be brown not black. If it is black there may be sludge, and he is going longer between changes than he should. You can do the same with the trans, pull the dip stick smear fluid on a white towel. It should be bright pink or red. If its dark red or any shade of brown you may be in for trouble.

Look or signs of fluid leaks. at 250k miles, there will be leaks everywhere. If there are none, and no oil slick on the sides of the transmission, then he has done what he says he has done.

·
imdabes
937 Posts
I'd buy it. Mine had 290 with 14k on a rebuild. Some very minor body dents but other than that perfect.

·
Premium Member
1,916 Posts
I agree, mileage doesn't really matter. The biggest concern for a bronco is rust on the tub. Second is the transmission, especially if its an automatic.

Make sure you get records for any work done, especially receipts and warranties. And then call said businesses to confirm they did it. Keep in mind that if its not on paper, it didn't happen. If said proof is not provided, you can talk the seller down by however much he claims he said that engine freshening cost.

Also, pop the hood and look at the body mount just below the battery. There is almost ALWAYS rust there. If there is, depending on how bad, you can talk the seller down more. If not, well, its still worth it.

Check both front seat mounts. Those have been known to crack and break. Give both a good shake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he has receipt for tranny it was 3k, 40,000 miles ago. the truck is his daily driver. he also has receipt for engine work... was going to go get today but hes having trouble finding title:doh0715: i guess having it for 10 years he hasnt needed it:( bummed was hoping to get it today

·
Registered
446 Posts
Verify title is legit and clean.

I will never understand why people advertise a vehicle for sale, and they don't have the title ready to go. It makes me (whether justified or not) immediately a little skeptical.

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
Verify title is legit and clean.

I will never understand why people advertise a vehicle for sale, and they don't have the title ready to go. It makes me (whether justified or not) immediately a little skeptical.
Because people are lazy and loose important shit like that. The same reason someone will snap pictures of their car with a cell phone while its caked in dirt and full of trash and list it for sale. Here's a better question, how does one end up with a vehicle they don't have and can't get the title to? Because I come across those on CL constantly.

If he can get the title and its clean I'd buy it. Now if he says its gonna cost 300$ extra if he gets the title I'd walk. I'm not the one who lost the title, and I'm not the one who owned the vehicle and was responsible for the title, and I need a clean, signed title to register the vehicle in my name. Why should I pay for the owner to get something they should already have with the vehicle? Hell I'm already gonna be paying to transfer the title, not to mention sales tax.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I agree with the others. No rust and good body are getting harder to find these days (in my area at least). The engine and trans can be rebuilt/replaced worst case scenario.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I agree condition trumps mileage bigtime on any older vehicle

mechanical stuff is cheap and easy to fix compared to body and rust and usually once it has started to rust, pretty much impossible to stop unless you cut out ALL rust, and that can get pretty involved
and a half decent paint job is not even remotely cheap anymore,even if you can do it yourself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts