Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys having transmission issues and the spedo jumps like from 45-55 mph back and forth. i am hoping this has something to do with why the tranny is shifting so hard. where can i get one of these rings? also how do they install? mine has some nicks in it. no teeth missing but there are some nicks in it... thx in advance guys!

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Yep, it sounds like that may be the problem. You can get the tone ring from the dealer for cheap. You should pull the cover to inspect the ring before you just go buy one first though, because the problem could just be the sensor. As for the replacement procedure, it seems like someone posted that up just a few weeks ago. Oh yeah, it was me.

1- Remove carrier cross pin.

2- Push in each axle to expose the c-clip, then remove the c-clip and pull the axle out of the carrier.

3- Mark the orientation of the bearing caps so that they can be reinstalled not only on the correct side, but also facing the right direction. Remove bearing caps.

4- Pull out the carrier, taking extreme caution to not mix up the bearing races and shim packs. They must go back in exactly as they are in right now, or you'll have to do a full gear set up when you put it back in.

5- Remove all of the ring gear bolts and tap off the ring gear with a rubber mallet.

6- Tap off the damaged tone ring and replace it with the new one.

7- Reinstall the ring gear. Many say you should replace the ring gear bolts, it's a subject of some debate. Use a lot of red LocTite and torque them to spec.

8- Put the carrier back in taking care to put the bearing races and shim packs back in their original positions.

9- Reinstall the bearing caps in their original positions, use a lot of red LocTite and torque to spec.

10- Slide the axles back in and reinstall the c-clips.

11- Reinstall the cross pin.

That's pretty much it. It's not hard to do at all, you can do it in less than an hour.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Agree with Dave.

inspect first, that really is kinda time consuming just to do the toner. AND, pay special attention to each of the steps if you do. Not torquing properly, not cleaning re-used bolts thourghly and using red locktite will bite you big time not too far down the road. so if your sensor just needs cleaning or possible slight adjustment (there is a spec for how far it should be from the toner ring), that is what you should tackle first.

Where did your toner ring "nicks" come from????

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I'm with Shadofax... the tone ring doesn't just create nicks on it's own.. something caused that.

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere to bake the tone ring in the oven for a short while to heat it up, so that it slips right on the carrier without having to be pressed on. Did you have to do that Dave?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Before I jump on the Tone ring bandwagon. Can you tell us a little about your Bronco. Year, engine, tranny, etc?
I replaced my tone ring, but that is because it was missing teeth. For all I know you may have an AOD and your speedo cable may be missing a gear tooth.:shrug

·
Banned
11,190 Posts
You don't have to remove the ring gear from the carrier to R&R the tone ring. Nor do you have to heat the tone ring.

And nicks won't affect the speedo/trans. It's more likely a bad PSOM - they're known for it.

But I agree that it's more important to find out WHY the tone ring is damaged.

·
Billdo
2,195 Posts
I'm with Shadofax... the tone ring doesn't just create nicks on it's own.. something caused that.

Also, I think I remember reading somewhere to bake the tone ring in the oven for a short while to heat it up, so that it slips right on the carrier without having to be pressed on. Did you have to do that Dave?
no you dont have to heat them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts