Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

What should I do about my axle situation?

• Keep up the search for the rear D60

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Build a 10.25 and pay the $$$

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • Fix the 8.8 now and get back to wheelin sooner

Votes: 13 25.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently blew up my 8.8 and figured the obvious thing would be to NOT fix the turd, but just upgrade to something stronger. I decided initially to go with a FF D60 built exactly like Shadowfax as it seemed to be pretty straightforward and meet my needs. However, every time I've gotten close to getting a hold of a D60 rear over the last month, it slips through my fingers (and this has been several times). I want to just get one, get the sucker built, and get it in my truck so I can wheel it again. But, it seems no one wants to sell me a D60.
So, here's my issue. Do I just drop looking for a 60 and get a 10.25 that seems easier to get a hold of, but pricier to build? (I'm going w/4.56's and a detroit in whatever I get.) Or, continue the search for a D60 rear? Or, polish the turd and fix the 8.8, and throw some disc brakes on there while I'm at it? The last choice appears to get me back on the trail the fastest.
I have no problem buying 3 new 8-lug rims and carrying 2 spares. And, I do plan to SAS it someday down the road. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Too bad you're not closer to IL, D60's all day long here. I even have one on the back of a 79 F250 I need to part out and have hauled off thats been sitting out by my barn since I moved in.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
How big are you planning to go long-term? That's a really important deciding factor ...

If you didn't have a 92-96, I'd say 35 or 40 spline 9" with a nodular centersection. Light, strong, and an amazing selection of parts available, plus still five lug. Depends on how big you want to go long-term, though, you'll be swapping to eight lugs anyway if you want anything heavier duty than a solid D44 in the front.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chuck said:
How big are you planning to go long-term? That's a really important deciding factor ...
In my grand bronco plans I see 2 possibilities:
D60 FF rear w/8-lug D44 front and tires no bigger than 37-38's.
or
10.25 rear w/D60 front and 39-40's.

I guess it all depends on what I roll with for the rear axle to start with.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
go with the 10.25, you can ALWAYS run 37-38's on a 10.25 and you wont have to worry about it breaking as much. Stick with your GRAND scheme, pay a little more now instead of 2x

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Did I see that right?

Andy said to get a Sterling instead of bashing the Sterling and saying a 14 bolt rules................?

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
go with the 60. can be built relatively cheaper, and setting up the VSS is REALLY easy. plus not everyone has it, if you're worried about being a bandwagoneer. and it will hold up to 38's fine for east coast wheelin

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Are you sure there are not a lot of 60's in the yard out on tryon. I thought there were quite a few under vans? I could have been mistaken though.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
if you are refering to the pull-a-part, then not anymore, all the vans and trucks with real beefy axles under them got changed to make room for the newer cars.
I say go with a sterling, its stronger, i have one behind my house and cant wait to build it up.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
10.25 biaatch

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Marauder said:
Are you sure there are not a lot of 60's in the yard out on tryon. I thought there were quite a few under vans? I could have been mistaken though.
Some are not D60's but D61's. And others are D60's, but not FF.
kf4amu said:
why not 14 bolt?
zainyD said:
D60 or a 14 bolt......just my .02
If I want my transmission to shift, a 14-bolt ain't happenin.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
96broncoman said:
if you are refering to the pull-a-part, then not anymore, all the vans and trucks with real beefy axles under them got changed to make room for the newer cars.
I say go with a sterling, its stronger, i have one behind my house and cant wait to build it up.
Lame, I wanted to get a saginaw. Im sure I can find one in there somewhere. They couldnt have gotten rid of all the vans.

Its all up to you johnski. I have no idea how much you want to spend. I know teaching dosnt pay as much as it should. Also, I dont know what you plan to do later. Upgrade to huge tires or what? I think that the 10.25 will stay unbroken for a long time though. Also its pretty much just a bolt in axle so that will be really nice. I would say 10.25 if you are willing to throw a lot of money at it to set it up, after that I think you will be set for a while.

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Marauder said:
I think that the 10.25 will stay unbroken for a long time though. Also its pretty much just a bolt in axle so that will be really nice. I would say 10.25 if you are willing to throw a lot of money at it to set it up, after that I think you will be set for a while.
That's what I'm starting to think. I guess it's spend the money, build it right, and be done with it. I'm hitting up as many yards as I can find this weekend. Looking for both a 60 and 10.25. See what I find first.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts