Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be best to avoid breakage, and or parts failure in an 8.8?
A Detroit TrueTrac, or the Detroit EZ-Locker.

One is obviously a traction aid device, and the other is a drop in type locker.

The TrueTrac is a full housing that would go in the diff and would be best installed with a new set of gears, where as the Detroit EZ locker is a drop in and does not replace the housing and in turn can be installed anytime by almost anyone.

The downside to the EZ locker is that the stress is all transferred to the yoke and other parts that could potentially lead to failure.
The TrueTrac is a full replacement unit and should absorb most of teh stress but the downside to the TrueTrac is that it isnt a full locker.

So in this equation each part has their ups and downs.
The equation needs to be noted that both parts are similar in costs (We all know a full replacement locker is best, but of course the cost is much higher).

Any info is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, 9 times out of 10, I am 99% sure, but I like to amuse myself with what data is presented by others.

Good to have you back buddy :goodfinge

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much, and is it the ez locker or truetrac?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Detroit

Well I have an ez-locker in the back of my 86 f150 and have had no problems with it at all. I run 33x10.50 tires. As with every llcker you can feel and hear it but it works good for me. Now the true trac I don,t know much about but as you said it's not a locker! A full detroit locker is probably your best bet especially if you plan on running anything over a 35" tire. Thats just my .2 cents.

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
I've been running my drop in lock-right. Works awesome, and I am the second owner. First one was dogonmut, who had it running 35's. I am on 31's, I don't recommend it if you are going to run 35's or larger, they can break.

But.. ( I could be wrong here.. but...)

If the lock-right is the first to break I would rather just pop my spider gears back in on the trail than have a broken axle shaft. I dunno.

I also got the powertrax cross shaft that is suppose to be stronger in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts