Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my rear diff oil today, and I went to oull the filler plug out and found the filler plug to be stripped or wallowed out. I cannot get the dang thing out. Ive been trying to drill through it and get a Easy Out in there. But I have been drilling for hour and half and im only 1/4" deep.

Is there a better way to get it out or what???

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
You really have to push the 3/8 extension to get it to grab. I would try to chissel it out before I tried drilling.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Next time buy some hardened square stock and hammer it into the plug

Then you can get all your favourite weopens onto the square stock to twist it out. Actually next time lube the plug threads with anti-seize and you'll be good to go.

Good luck

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Drilling for an hour and a half and only 1/4" into it? You need some sharper drill bits!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Dont know what your working on but if its a 9 inch just take the 3rd member out,drill a filler & drain hole in the axel...Then your set....

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
MUDDOG7375 said:
Dont know what your working on but if its a 9 inch just take the 3rd member out,drill a filler & drain hole in the axel...Then your set....
:stupid It'd really help to know what you're working on. If you have a 8.8, you can always just leave the plug alone and fill the diff through the ABS/VSS sensor on the top of the differential. ;) :thumbup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I know I had to double check and make sure I wasnt in reverse too! But I wasnt. I went and bought a brand new titanium drill bit, so I know there not dull. I have the 8.8, I gave up on it for today, but im gonna go out there tomorrow and do some more damage.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Did you start with a smaller drill bit first,maybe a 3/16" and then progress up an 1/8" at a time until you get to the size you want?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
are the threads in the diff cover and/or the threads on the filler plug stripped? or is the square part where the 3/8'' extension goes stripped?

if it's the threads just gotta drill it out, or make a new fill hole/plug.

if the square part is rounded/stripped out, just beat something into it and twist it out.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
bronco1 said:
Did you start with a smaller drill bit first,maybe a 3/16" and then progress up an 1/8" at a time until you get to the size you want?
haha, thast great!!
start at 3/16? th en work the way up to 1/8? an 8th is 2/16th, and smaller than the first bit!

heat up the area and hammer something into the square and twist away. do it all the time.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
:thumbup Hey BurnedB!Reread the post,it say's to increase the drill bit size 1/8" each time.Starting with 3/16",then to 5/16"(3/16" + 2/16"=5/16"),then to 7/16"(5/16"+ 2/16"=7/16)or what ever size the easy-out is.:doh0715: :beer

·
Registered
349 Posts
Like Ogeechee 4x4 said...get a 10m socket and remove the Abs sensor on the top, it just pulls out and you can pour your gear oil in there... saves time and energy...just make sure you dont fill it all the way up..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
also how do I know how much to fill up if I cant see how high to fill it????

My manual says 5.5 PINTS. So put 2 and 3/4 QUARTS????? Will that be fine?

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
stepchild88 said:
are the threads in the diff cover and/or the threads on the filler plug stripped? or is the square part where the 3/8'' extension goes stripped?

if it's the threads just gotta drill it out, or make a new fill hole/plug.

if the square part is rounded/stripped out, just beat something into it and twist it out.
This is the best option I've read for it. If you have a dremel another thing you can try is to carefully open the square hole in the back enough to accept a 1/2" ratchet extension and take it out that way. If you have enough room to get a pair of vice grips on the plug you can try to turn it out with those too, I had to on my T-case. I replaced them at that time too.

Another very important thing is to make sure you're turning it the right way to remove it too. It's easy to get confused, I just spent the weekend swapping a disc brake rear into a S10 with my son (he blew the dside carrier bearing to hell) and had to correct him a couple times (he's alost 23), he corrected me once too. I corrected my self a couple times trying to reconnect the brake line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts