Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am likely going to be purchasing a 1986 ford Bronco... my first Bronco! i have 2 questions. I have googled/forum searched and i can't find any answers. What rear axls does this bronco likely have? 8.8 or 9"? also, it has the 302 with an auto tranny, what tranny does it likely have? thanks, i know its a noobie question but its my first bronc!

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think in 84 ford started fasing out the 9". But they were still used in some models for a couple years??

The easiest thing to do is look at the rearend from the back. If it has a Differntial cover then its a 8.8.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses... i asked the guy to send me pics of the rear end already just wanted to see if i could find out in case i never got the pics. I was really hoping for the 9"... ohwell i guess... how does the 8.8 hold up to the weight and power of the bronco? what would be a tire size limit if i locked it?

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses... i asked the guy to send me pics of the rear end already just wanted to see if i could find out in case i never got the pics. I was really hoping for the 9"... ohwell i guess... how does the 8.8 hold up to the weight and power of the bronco? what would be a tire size limit if i locked it?
An 8.8 and a 9" are right about the same strength wise.

The 8.8 is okay up to about 35" tires, an a stock or very lightly modded 351.

Anything above that, and you'll want to consider a 3/4 ton D60FF, or step it up to a 1ton 14bolt, or a Sterling 10.25.

·
Registered
904 Posts
if you are keeping it stock and the axle has seen some decent maintenance it will hold up fine to stock stuff. Start getting bigger tires, gears, etc and it wont last forever.

If you plan to wheel it i would run it til it craps out and then replace it with a chevy 14 bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts