Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay for starters i swapped the axle from a junkyard and whoever owned it before me welded the diff and the welds broke clean so i still used it now it makes a horrendous pop if im turning sharply and it started doin it when i was going straight after two miles. as far as the steering goes im sure its the radius arm bushings they are pretty fried but i just got it aligned and got the steering gearbox and pitman arm replaced as well and sometimes itll pull to the left then kinda wobble then go back into place and drive straight until i made another turn sometimes popping in the process but i think that may have been the axle. also to test the driveshaft i put it in neutral on the ground and spun the axle and it dam near went half a turn any ideas, thoughts, or theories are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds like you still have some weld stuck to a gear somewhere, or the spiders simply got damaged from the heat of the welding process.
(check spiders closely for stress fractures)

I dont think I would be driving that anywhere till I got it figured out. Matter of fact, I wouldnt use it with those gears at all.

Can you swap in the carrier/spiders from the old one?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just did the wheel bearings and i checked the spider gears before i swapped it but it was dark and i may have missed something i also dont have the old one, had to give it up for the core but it was in way worse condition.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also the axle rode good for a few months but i only drove it on the highway a few times and for short distance

·
Super Moderator
26,073 Posts
yo Drew,
you have a 1993 5.8, correct?

this is 96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)
same for your 93

Section 05-00: Axle and Driveshaft, Service
Backlash Between Ring Gear and Pinion Teeth 0.20-0.38 mm
Backlash Maximum Variation Between Checkpoints 0.101 mm
Maximum Runout of Back Face of Ring Gear 0.101 mm

See attached Diagram;
Two separate adjustments affect pinion and ring gear tooth contact. They are pinion location and backlash.

Individual differences in matching the rear axle housing (4010) and the differential pinion bearings (4630) require the use of shims to locate the pinion for correct contact with the ring gear. Refer to appropriate axle section in Group 05 for shim selection procedures

Item Part Number Description
1 4851 Rear Axle Universal Joint Flange
2 4859 Drive Pinion Oil Seal Deflector
3 4662 Differential Drive Pinion Collapsible Spacer
4 4663 Drive Pinion Bearing Adjustment Shim
5 4067 Differential Bearing Shim

Examine the teeth of ring gear and pinion for scoring or excessive wear. Worn gears cannot be rebuilt to correct a noisy condition. Gear scoring is the result of excessive shock loading, vehicle loading, or the use of an incorrect lubricant, all of which contribute to the loss of lubricating film between the two gears. Scored gears cannot be reused. Examine the teeth and thrust surfaces of the differential gears. Wear on the hub of the differential side gear (4236) can cause a chucking noise known as chuckle when the vehicle is driven at low speeds. Wear of splines, thrust surfaces or thrust washers can contribute to excessive driveline backlash.

Check bearing cups for rings, scores, galling or excessive wear. Pinion bearing cups must be solidly seated in the housing bores. Check for seating by attempting to insert a 0.04mm (0.0015-inch) feeler gauge between these cups and the bottoms of their bores.

When operated in the bearing cups, cone and roller assemblies must turn without roughness. Examine the large roller ends for wear. If the original blend radius has worn to a sharp edge, the bearing should be replaced.

If inspection reveals either a worn bearing cup or a worn cone and roller, both parts should be replaced to prevent damage.

Make sure the hubs where the bearings mount are smooth. Carefully examine the differential case bearing shoulders, which may have been damaged when the bearings were removed. The bearings will fail if they do not seat firmly against the shoulders. Check the fit (free rotation) of the differential side gears in their counterbores.

Inspection Before Disassembly of Axle
The differential case (4204) and drive pinion should be inspected before they are removed from the differential carrier casting. These inspections can help determine the cause of the concern and the correction needed.
1.Wipe the lubricant from the internal working parts and visually inspect the parts for wear or damage.
2.Rotate the gears to see if there is any roughness which would indicate worn or damaged bearings or gears.
3.Check the ring gear and pinion teeth for signs of scoring, abnormal wear or nicks/chips.
4.NOTE: On F-Series and Bronco vehicles equipped with anti-lock brakes, mount Dial Indicator with Bracketry TOOL-4201-C or equivalent on the carrier so the tip of the dial indicator contacts the backface of the ring gear and pinion. There is a space provided between the anti-lock speed sensor ring and the ring gear and pinion for measuring ring gear and pinion backface runout.
Set up a dial indicator, and check ring gear and pinion backlash and ring gear and pinion backface runout.
5.Proper ring gear and pinion depth must be checked using the Pinion Depth Gauge Set T79P-4020-A which shows correct pinion shim required to assure acceptable running condition.

Can you afford to get another 8.8 from a yard queen?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the help guys ill take the diff cover off tomorow and see whats goin on but it looks like im hittin the junkyard again soon unless anybody in florida has an 8.8 for sale :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Search craigslist, and not just for 8.8 axle, look for whole trucks/broncos that are getting parted out, might get it cheaper that way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
once again i really appreciate all the help guys and i got the diff cover off and the spider on the drivers side axle is fubar so i was wondering should u just get another axle from a junkyard or should i repair this one. also is lkq worth the 345 for an axle when rusty acres is around 200

1 - 9 of 9 Posts