Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I was delivering pizza's in my bronco when i heard some nasty noise in the rear end. made a rapid vibration on accelleration and just vibrated in general above 30mph. I thought it was the brakes so i pulled the drums. when i jacked up the passenger side i noticed I could pull the wheel outward slightly. What the hell is this? if I lost an axle retainer clip the axle would pull right out, right? Is it the wheel bearing? Is the bearing external on the bronco axles? I've got a 90 with an 8.8 rear with a 351 and an e40d. the transmission always "clunked" into gear, now it makes a clank in the rear end when i put it in reverse help me!

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Sounds like you might be losing a carrier bearing:banghead This is what my son's S10 was doing before it finally shat the bed. When we replaced the rear axle (cheaper than a rebuild) he upgraded to rear disks form a blazer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
did you check the u-joints on the drive shaft?

You're right about the c-clip. If you lose that you will lose the wheel and axle shaft or at least be able to pull it out. There is a little play in the shafts usually. I just put new ones in mine and there is about 1/4" of play on the driver side and a cooch more on the passenger side, but she rides good.

I'll agree with ogeeche, pull the cover and see what it looks like. If there is nothing obvious (chipped teeth, massive amounts of shavings in the bottom, etc...) pull the shafts and check them as well as the bearings. Otherwise, check the pinion for play.

Good luck
clay

edit: dammit wagon you beat me too it

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I know...I'm a broken record on this, but....

It's your pinion bearings. Betcha.

Give your pinion a wiggle. I'll bet it's loose. Check that first.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
You've already guessed your problem alright

You're likely gonna find this in the bottom of the pig when you pull the cover;

There's also the possibility your locking pin bolt busted, but the axle wouldn't pull out though.

Sixlitre

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Just be glad it didnt look like this

S

·
0 Posts
im gonna go ahead and say that you might wanna look for a 9 inch i never trust those 8.8's

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I had my friend under the truck with the wheels off the ground and it turned out it was the double cardian joint on the rear driveshaft. The one u joint was annihalated and the other one was holding it all together, barely! I bought a new driveshaft. The gear oil in the diff was gross, so I replaced it. Think I need to add that friction modifier though, I get a wierd vibration sometimes now. The pinion plate that the driveshaft bolts to was loose, probably from vibration. I torqued it down.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm going to guess that you have a track loc, one that has really worn out/broken clutches

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do 8.8s use a crushsleeve. If so, your pinion preload is wrong now and your gonna toast your pinion bearings.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Aaron Sandberg said:
Do 8.8s use a crushsleeve. If so, your pinion preload is wrong now and your gonna toast your pinion bearings.
He'll probably be ok. I've had good luck re-torquing them down, you just have to be cafreful to not put enough on it to crush the sleeve any more. Since it takes 300+ ft lb to crush the sleeve, it's unlikely he did anything bad.

The bearings are probably toast, anyway, since the pinion was loose and wobbling around in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts