Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
time to re-build the rear axle, 187k got a thunk going into reverse from time to time and what i feel is allot of end play that a dealer and a local shop call normal. i get the impression they didn't want to get into doing the job. so... what parts can i expect to buy? can the differential be re-built? anything else i should maybe upgrade?

·
Cleaning the trails
932 Posts
and what i feel is allot of end play that a dealer and a local shop call normal.
If it is side to side along the length of the axle, that is the clutch pack from the LSD (if you have one ) wearing out. Yes, it is normal if you have a limited slip. When you can turn your wheels against the clutch pack easily, then it is time to rebuild the clutch. If there is clunking, then there are other issues. Get a rebuild kit with the bearings, shims etc and then you'll have the parts to have it done.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
If it were me...

-All brake parts. NOTE-ALL
-Wheel bearings
-Axle seals
-Diff rebuild kit
-New LSD/rebuild what you have
-Synthetic fluid

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If it were me...

-All brake parts. NOTE-ALL
-Wheel bearings
-Axle seals
-Diff rebuild kit
-New LSD/rebuild what you have
-Synthetic fluid

rear brakes are new...even the lines. makes sense to do the seal and bearings while its apart i agree.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
rear brakes are new...even the lines. makes sense to do the seal and bearings while its apart i agree.
Wheel cylinders too?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
430 Posts
allot of end play that a dealer and a local shop call normal.
If two shops called it normal then I would leave it alone.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If two shops called it normal then I would leave it alone.

Just my opinion.
yup, i have for about a year now, bothers me that they never pulled the cover to take a look

·
Registered
172 Posts
yup, i have for about a year now, bothers me that they never pulled the cover to take a look
Hey man - what shops on the island you been to? I'm looking at getting(needeing) some work done on the bronc and really not sure what shop I feel really knows broncos and is looking to rape me in the arse...

you know of any good / honest shops?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey man - what shops on the island you been to? I'm looking at getting(needeing) some work done on the bronc and really not sure what shop I feel really knows broncos and is looking to rape me in the arse...

you know of any good / honest shops?

dude its long island, every one wants to rape your arse. most of my work is done by myself or the st.... dealer. what are you looking for and were?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you lubed your slip joint? That'll make a pretty big clunk.
put a brany new shaft in last winter, and lubed her up then. did the same thing before the shaft chage. realy feels like the rear, gonna have it checked out on thursday.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had my rear end rebuilt last year by Leo at TNT Conversions in Bohemia. http://www.tntconversions.com

Could not have been happier with the results. Leo did a great job, pretty quick and at a good price. Give him a call.
never heard of them befor, i'll keep them in mind. thank's

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,797 Posts
When was the last time the diff fluid was changed? What did it look like? Was the magnet full of shavings? If there are potential problems with the axle and with 187k on it, you might be looking at new gears too. Any up and down play in the axle shafts or pinion yoke? Another part that could be wearing out is the pinion bearing. They are a bitch to replace - might be best to have a shop do this; not impossible to do, just a pain in the ass if you have never done it (I paid a shop to take care of mine).

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
got it in the shop now, they said there is a bad rear bearing and axle. i have no doubt about the bearing.... not sure about the axle, but would this cause the clunk? i have my doubts. trucks gonna be laid up until wed.:banghead somethinhg about the weekend and a holiday on monday and getting parts? what i'm the only one that works 7 days a week? "service secter" my arse!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts