Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 ford bronco that is leakin rear end fluid out of the rear right drum brake and im assuming its the axle seal. i was wondering what all needs to be done to change this seal. ive never changed one before. does anyone possibly have a write up somewhere about changing this because i couldnt find one?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Haynes manual coveres that repair quite well. It involves removing the rear diff cover and pulling the pinion shaft lock pin and a "c" clip on diff end of the end of the axle. If your lock pin has a 5/32" head do not reuse, it is a one time use bolt. Then remove the axle and pull and replace the seal. Might as well replace the other side while you are in there.:beer
Easy as pie....

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
Sounds like a wheel cylinder to me, not a axle seal. I mean don't quote me on that, I can't diagnose it from over the internet, but I'd put my money on a leaky wheel cylinder rather than a newer aged bronco with an axle seal leak.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It's pretty easy, but it sounds like an axle seal to me.

1. Drain diff
2. Remove cover
3. Remove carrier pin
4. Push axle in, remove C clip, and slide axle out.
5. Pry the hell out of the seal until it finally comes out
6. Replace seal

Repeat and reverse.

It's a pretty simple job should take about an hour to do both.

·
Registered
222 Posts
just my .02 i'd replace the outer bearings while it's apart. easy to do and not to expensive. could be a bad bearing that caused the seal problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts