Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Bronco out for a spin tonight to go run some errands. Get out of the store, walk towards the Bronco, and see a puddle under the driver rear section of the Bronco. Get up underneath and I see tons of spray of red fluid - like ATF Type F or Mercon - and it's coming from where the vent tube on the axle is. I have a hose attached on it, and the hose runs about 6" upwards. The brake line that is supposed to slip OVER the vent tube is zip tied to the side of it because the vent tube was too short to slip all the way through the brake line hole (if you've done the rear brake hose that should make sense).

1) What is the vent needed for? I drove for a year with a bolt in there holding the brake hose in place and it seemed to work fine, but I put the tube and hose back after I was told it was necessary.

2) Why the hell is the rear axle puking??? Last month I drove 400 miles without any issues, tonight I drive 15 miles and it pukes 1/4 to 1/2 a cup.

Thanks...
Dan

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
As far as th eleaking problems, search on that because its somewhat of a common problem. You will find a lot of good threads with info on why it may be doing it.

And don't plug that vent, it needs to breathe. If it wasn't for that vent oil would be forced out seals (or seals would completly blow out) because as the axle (and the air and oil in it) heats up it needs to expand. That vent gives it a place to breath free. Also changes in elevation will require some expansion or contraction of the air in there. What you should do is run a line at least all the way to to the top of the frame. If you really want to do good put a small filter at the end of the line.

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Except it was coming from the axle vent, not the tcase or tranny. It was a red fluid.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Except it was coming from the axle vent, not the tcase or tranny. It was a red fluid.
You running ATF in the rear diff? Was it real thin like ATF? Fluids can flow and run all over while going down the road. I would clean everything real good and make certain of where the leak is from.

You may have even run through a puddle of ATF somewhere. I know a guy that did that with coolant, had coolant all under his truck, but we couldn't find a leak and sure enough, we went back on the route he took and there was a huge puddle of coolant at one of the intersections.

Just pull the cover off the rear diff and see if it has red fluid.

Hard to say with out some pics, I am just trying to help. If it is gear oil, it should have been thick and I have never seen red gear oil. :shrug

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You running ATF in the rear diff? Was it real thin like ATF? Fluids can flow and run all over while going down the road. I would clean everything real good and make certain of where the leak is from.

You may have even run through a puddle of ATF somewhere. I know a guy that did that with coolant, had coolant all under his truck, but we couldn't find a leak and sure enough, we went back on the route he took and there was a huge puddle of coolant at one of the intersections.

Just pull the cover off the rear diff and see if it has red fluid.

Hard to say with out some pics, I am just trying to help. If it is gear oil, it should have been thick and I have never seen red gear oil. :shrug

I don't know what I'm running the rear diff because I have never checked in the past five years I've owned the vehicle. :)

Here's what I've got - The rubber hose on the breather nipple was secured with a zip tie because I did not have a hose clamp. The rear brake line is not slipped over the nipple because it's a replacement brake line that was much larger than the nipple - my nipple didn't have enough threads to clamp the rear brake line to the axle. So as a compromise, I screwed the nipple in, and then zip tied the hose on it, and then zip tied the brake line to the breather nipple. The zip ties have worked their way off, so the hose was essentially off of the rear breather nipple. There was a large splash of fluid all over the nipple, all over the fuel tank skid plate as if the breather nipple fired fluid straight out, and then it was dripping down onto the ground. Could not see any additional fluid anywhere under the truck, except for my engine oil leak... but this isn't from that.

This fluid is not thick... it's just like power steering fluid (ATF Type F). And I've never seen gear oil.

Truck is 20 miles from home, I was planning on snugging the line up and driving it home after work instead of towing it. If it does have ATF in the rear end, well I've put 4000 miles on that in the past few years so another 20 won't hurt it any more.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I would love to see some pics, if it has ATF in the diffs. Gear oil has a pretty strong and unique smell, go buy a bottle and open it up.

Yes, if you drove it 4000 miles like that then 20 more shouldn't do much more harm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine does that if I leave it sitting at an angle towards the left side and pointing down hill, in other words, if the rear/right wheel is on higher ground. But it usually has to sit there for half a day before it leaks. I always thought it either had too much in it or the tube wasnt arched high enough/too short. With the 4" lift the tube is probably 4"s short now.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't know what I'm running the rear diff because I have never checked in the past five years I've owned the vehicle. :)

This fluid is not thick... it's just like power steering fluid (ATF Type F). And I've never seen gear oil.
So, I still think it came from the transmission or transfer case, unless the PO put ATF in the rear diff. :shocked

·
it's Dan Five Oh
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are some pictures. The axle is soaked right where the vent screws in, and the exhaust, frame rail, and undercarriage is soaked in two locations - 1) where the vent hose ends, and 2) where the vent itself would shoot out if the rubber hose was loose... which it was since the zip tie I had on there came off.

I wiped it down, used a clamp on the hose that's on the axle vent, and took the back roads home. No new fluid leakage detected yet...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.