Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 87 Bronco a few weeks ago and was told that the rear brakes stuck but were fixed now. Well apparently not because my first trip out to the desert the passenger side rear locked up on me on my way home. So i took the drum off and took the adjuster off and made it home. What could be causing it to do this. I also wasn't using the brakes often when it happened. Any help would be greatly apprecciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i didnt see a small child in there and I thought the parking brake only locks the driver side tire but did not check that. I will check the drum next. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, the only thing ive ever done on breaks is replace pads, so im not to famaliar with brakes entirerly. I will definately check that out. Just trying to get some input for when I get a chance to work on it this week. Thanks again.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Those parking brake cables tend to rust and then bind. When you apply the parking brake, it will apply but then won't release because of the rusted cables. Or maybe it'll only partly release, and then the brakes get hot and lock up when driving.

About the only cure is to replace the cables; I've never had much luck in lubing them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rear wheel cylander? Check your brake fluid latley.

Just throwing out there all my chevys that i had when the rear wheel cylander was bad it would lock up. I would have to either reblace the wheel clynder or just crimp the back brake line until i made it home.( Do NOT do this. it was a temporary fix).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The brake fluid was the first thing I checked and it looked fine. It sounds to me now, that it is either the master cylinder or the emergency brake lines are rusted. Thanks for the input guys, ill get to work on it when I can and tell you how it went.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rear shoes could be contaminated causing to grab. Mine was doing the same thing and i see it all the time on vehicles that may have something entering the drum causing shoes to become contaminated. Could also be wheel cylinder leaking or axle seal leaking slightly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts