Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers side rear drum I believe is hanging and I've decided to replace everything with new hardware. I just got back from Easter Jeep Safari and my bronco started pulling the right and left and I noticed today my drivers side rear hub was significantly hotter than the other side. I checked the brake shoe lining thickness before i left and all was fine, however I did notice that the front and rear shoe was the same length/size. I thought a smaller shoe was supposed to be in front and the bigger in back. Why would they be the same? I figure if i replace everything I'll be better off in the long run so instead of trying to diagnose the problem, I'm going to replace everything. Any ideas? Are the "ford" brake shoes the same size? What am I missing?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
i doubt a hanging rear brake would cause the ABS light to flash.

and yes, the smaller shoe goes toward the front end of the truck.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Bri_Guy5 said:
i doubt a hanging rear brake would cause the ABS light to flash.
It could if it was boiling the brake fluid, I think.

Could a malfunctioning ABS system cause the rear brake to drag, though? Maybe we're looking at this backwards.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i changed my rear brakes for the first time and hands on is way better than learning from a text book. sure I had my problems, but overall it was easy. My abs light is still on and i'll pull the codes for that this weekend and hopefully i can get that fixed. I just got back from moab easter jeep safari and my drivers side front is making some knocking noise. I hope to get that issue resovled as well. thanks for all your replies.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I know the ABS systems are different, BUT on my 1990 I had a similar problem with the ABS light. It would come on while driving, and while on the rear brakes would be engaged enough to feel the drag and cause excessive heat quickly. After this happened a few times I pulled the fuse to the system and eventually replaced the sensor in the rear end(Again I think your sensor is different) but my point is that it could be any one of the sensors in your system...and from my experience the ABS system can cause the brakes to engage.

·
Registered
441 Posts
just did mine and the front shoe was the larger one???? maybe the person before me put them on incorrectly, I put the new shoes on just like the older ones. Either way, my brakes are working great now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts