Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got the plates and stuff today here are the pics so far

I will start tomorrow. So far the cost is 274 for what is in the photo and about 100 for lights, I will take pics of later.
I expect it to cost between 600 and 700 for materials when I'm done. I hope people who scoff at quotes of a grand or so for a bumper take note, because you can see now that it is not cheap to build.

I hope to have the bumper mounted (minus tire / jack all / shovel / gas can carrier) by next weekend just to give myself and others an idea of how it will look.

here is the dimensions I used (overall is 20 5/16" x 8')

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So while I was looking for a hinge for the tire carrier, I went to Princess Auto, before realizing I could get what I wanted from there in regards to a hinge and got a new plug for towing since my last one got fubared while playing in a friends back yard and also saw a shovel for $6 which I plan on mounting as well so i scooped that up. I have the lights shown, four will go on the back and the rest will go up front or in the middle of the truck somewhere.

Here is the hub assembly I picked up for the hinge. I'm still deciding how to mount it

Then I layed everything out

...and then I heard some screaming from my oldest and laughing from my youngest

:histerica he was stuck pretty good and his brother was rocking the branch back and forth essentially squashing his balls, while I quickly ran in the garage to grab the camera

That was a nice intermission.

So

I checked and rechecked and repeated until finally I decided to go for it. I sure hope I figured it out correctly, otherwise I will be paying for another 200 or scabbing onto this one

...but I'm confident despite not fabbing in quite some time.

Well, here it is all burned.

That's going to fit up real nice up top when I'm done grinding everything tomorrow.

I should at least have it tacked up tommorrow with the mounting plates on as well.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This looks interesting. not a typical square/rectangle stock bumper build. can't wait to see the finished product. i will be watching!
Yeah a square tubing or a channel with a couple of tow points just doesn't turn my crank. This will look pretty cool when I'm done. I have a lot of ideas that will go into this one bumper. I'm constantly thinking of cool new ways (to me anyways) to assemble this.

Stay tuned, I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
So you started my friend!! Good luck and give us a nice bumper!!!!

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you started my friend!! Good luck and give us a nice bumper!!!!
Yes, I procrastinated long enough. I probably wont install the skid plate for the tank until a future date, but I will make some attachment points on the bumper so when I get around to that it will bolt right up.
Say, can you pm or post here, a pic of how and where you mounted the tubes towards the front?
looks like fun, cant wait to get the materials for my bumper builds.
Woohoo!!! :bday :toothless

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
btw, what's the thickness of the steel u r using? 1/4"? 3/8"?
3/16" and if I don't have some 1/4" kicking around, I may be using 3/16" for my mounting bracket too. I'm humming and hawing about that one, but 3/16" should be enough, especially since the frame of my truck is 3/16"

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I tacked it together to get most of the shape i want, I still need to remove the stock bumper in order to use it as a template for the cut out on top.

I grabbed my #3 tip for the heating and to show you guys the difference in size from the 3 to the 6 (with the 6 on the left and then top shot shows 6, 3, 1. The front close up of all three turned out blurry)

and here it is all formed and almost ready for fit up on the truck.

·
Registered
287 Posts
that looks great dude!:rockon looks like a factory style bumper. i guess u won't be using that for pulling anything? more like a street type bumper? :popc1:

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that looks great dude!:rockon looks like a factory style bumper. i guess u won't be using that for pulling anything? more like a street type bumper? :popc1:
Thanks, and it will only get better, but it will get used when needed, that is what it's for. :thumbup

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Looks good so far.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I'll be keeping a watch on this thread. Looks like you are off to a good start. I just cant get over how much mild steel is now!!! Please take alot of pics of the tire mount useing the hub! I need to build a mount soon and it would be most helpfull to see alot of detailed pics. Good Luck.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some how I thought you would be older
:histerica What can I say, I age well. :thumbup
I'll be keeping a watch on this thread. Looks like you are off to a good start. I just cant get over how much mild steel is now!!! Please take alot of pics of the tire mount useing the hub! I need to build a mount soon and it would be most helpfull to see alot of detailed pics. Good Luck.
I have an idea of how to do it with minimal welding and therefore minimize any risk of damage to the bearings. The plan is to make it removable yet still make it theft proof. I will take lots of pics too. :thumbup

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Walt did you buy the steel formed like that or did you pay someone to do it?

I really like the look and am def gonna watch this. I haven't gotten anywheres on my front except to throw some paint on it and bolt it back up.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Nice work! :thumbup :beer

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks good so far.
Nice work! :thumbup :beer
Thanks guys
Walt did you buy the steel formed like that or did you pay someone to do it?

I really like the look and am def gonna watch this. I haven't gotten anywheres on my front except to throw some paint on it and bolt it back up.
I payed someone to form it for me.

I was actually wondering what you've been doing with your bumper since I don't recall any updates.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i had some extra time today so I made a couple of cuts and decided that even though i think 3/16 is strong enough for mounting brackets (to a 3/16 frame) the bigger is better side of me decided to go with 5/16 plate so tomorrow I need to pick up a piece so I can have it in place this weekend.

here are some pics.

I didn't like the flow of the bottom, so I cut it even though nobody will really see it. I think it was a good choice.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts