Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks -

Who all out there is running a rear bumper with a tire carrier built on it? My truck didn't come with a tire carrier on the back, and I want to add one so that the spare will be outside. I've searched quite a bit and have only found one or two folks who make them and I'm not a fan of the design (or the price.... $$$$$). I talked with a local 4x4 shop about having one built, but he didn't seem too interested in doing anything other than Jeep work.

Any other sources out there for a decent bumper at a decent price? I've seen bumpers for Toyota's and Jeeps running between $500 and $750. The bronco bumpers (basically the same design) are $1,500-$2,000.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
He prob only wants to do jeeps because he has done a ton of them, a true fab shop should be able to do it regardless of the vehicle, he must not like working on real trucks lol

·
Registered
226 Posts
idea for ya

Reactions: forbye

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He prob only wants to do jeeps because he has done a ton of them, a true fab shop should be able to do it regardless of the vehicle, he must not like working on real trucks lol
Yeah, he kept going on and on about how much work a tire carrier would take because 'Broncos have notoriously weak frames, not boxed in like a jeep' yada yada yada. I was thinking in my head that he was overcomplicating things, which I think the video proves nicely! I also asked about changing gears in my axles and he said 'I only do Jeeps because that's what I'm set up to do.' A Dana 44 is a Dana 44, regardless of what it's under, but I digress....

Anyhow, I'll keep looking around for something that fits my needs.... I may end up making something myself, but I'll probably still end up with an aftermarket bumper. I'm looking for something heavier duty than stock, but without a $1,500 price tag.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Anyhow, I'll keep looking around for something that fits my needs....
Like a better shop :rofl: There's one up here that's full of brodozers with a catalog of bolt ons in the lot, but ask them to do a cage, sliders, anything you actually build, and it's like deer in the headlights. "fab shop" today seems to stand for FABulous SHOPping.

If you're able, I'd make one myself. Bumper+Carrier just the way you want it. I've been looking for bumpers I like and when comparing the price of ones that are "close enough to what I'm looking for" I could buy a welder and all the materials to build one with beer money left over.

Good Luck!

Reactions: fordbronco1995

·
Super Moderator
25,386 Posts
Yo Aggie,
Please fill out your Bronco Info with year, engine size, transmission type, transfer case type (manual or electric shift), locking hub type (automatic or manual) info & major mods such as a Lift, etc. for better responses.
Click User CP
Edit Your Details,
Scroll down to Bronco Info

Custom Frame Mounted Drop Down Fabrication & Installation in a 95
Source: by Shadofax @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/159543-custom-fold-down-rear-tire-carrier.html

Rear Installation pics, Bronco Air w/Tire Carrier in a 93
Source: by BoulderBronco (Chris, Charmer) at https://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/1339/64043-2
BRONCOAIR EXTREME DUTY REAR BUMPER (80-96)

Rear Fabrication & Installation w/Tire Carrier in an 89
Source: by triplesix at https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/44-fabrication-tools-equipment/119165-rear-bumper-rebuild-tire-carrier.html

Rear Fabrication & Installation w/Tire Carrier Info & pics in a 96
Source: by bossind (Steve) at https://www.supermotors.net/registry/15991/54201-2

Rear Fabrication & Installation w/Tire Carrier in a 95
Source: by Pepper (J A F O, Big Pig) at https://www.supermotors.net/registry/37/13578-2

Rear Fabrication & Installation w/Tire Carrier in a 94
Source: by jboileau at https://www.supermotors.net/registry/17828/61099-2

Rear Fabrication & Installation w/Tire Carrier in an 89 (pics are gone)
Source: by John D (jdbronco) at Bronco Rear Bumper
Pics are gone

Rear Fabrication & Installation w/Tire Carrier in a 78
Source: by Erik M (The Anchor) at A Heavy-Duty Bronco Bumper and Spare Tire Carrier - Trucks 4x4 @ Off-Road.com
Pics are gone

·
Registered
393 Posts
Jeep ones are so cheap because they are mass produced. Usually over seas. It is actually a ton of work to make a bumper with a swing out by hand. Especially if it’s a one off. Let’s say it takes 40 man hours to build the bumper and swing out. This is the LOW side for someone who has done a ton of the same one. A cheap fan shop would charge ~$50 an hour. That’s $2k in just labor not including the material. Material would be probably around $300. Plus the electricity to run all the machines for those 40 hours of cutting/welding/cleaning.

Most shops that will build swing out bumpers for you are lucky to break even. This is likely the cause of the jeep guy not wanting to build it for you.

As for the gears, the ttb d44 is easier to rebuild imo as it’s a thirdmember that comes out of the truck vs the jeeps solid axle. He probably just doesn’t want to deal with an old truck vs the huge line of jeeps waiting to get theirs done. They probably have the jeep process streamlined.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have the Proto Fab rear bumper / tire carrier on my '95 and I am very pleased with the looks and the quality.

If you have the aluminum trim panel on the tailgate, you *may* need to make certain mods to the frame mounts to keep bumper from touching the aluminum.

There was lengthy lead time, but Proto fab kept me informed with pretty good communications.

Arrived on a pallet in a freight truck right in my driveway.

Pretty good bang for the buck if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
yo fellow DFW resident...this is what i did.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/44-fabrication-tools-equipment/499520-ranch-hand-bumper-custom-tire-carrier.html

the guy who did the fab work is local, so you could potentially have him do the work for you.

also...since i have the bumper mounted carrier, i no longer need my OEM carrier. if you're interested in buying that, i have all the pieces. maybe we can work out something there. send me a PM if interested. i would be happy to let you come and look at my bumper if you're interested.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The first thing that leapt to mind for me was the local Ford Truck salvage yard here in Sacramento. I've bought everything from a replacement driver's seat out of an Eddie Bauer to a cruise control servo from them and I know that they frequently have Broncos in stock. There must be a similar business in DFW.

Does a Bronco equipped with the swing out external spare have some sort of reinforcement behind the body panels where it mounts to the fender or where the latch mounts on the tail gate? Would that prevent just converting a Bronco built with the internal spare to an external mount using a factory mount? It doesn't appear that the factory external mount involves the bumper but the aftermarket ones do.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Does a Bronco equipped with the swing out external spare have some sort of reinforcement behind the body panels where it mounts to the fender or where the latch mounts on the tail gate?
yes, there is reinforcement inside the tailgate and on the quarter panel. but, i do believe they can be removed so they could be installed, too.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Here's the two I built using a front hub assembly off of 79 Dana 44 as the swing with backup lights in the bumper and LEDs on the tire swing

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the Proto Fab rear bumper / tire carrier on my '95 and I am very pleased with the looks and the quality.
The ProtoFab bumper is definitely intriguing (especially the price!), but I'm looking for something that is more deimensionally like the stock bumper. I am going to keep the stock hitch and want it to look more or less original (don't want the hitch hanging way below the bumper, etc). I really like the looks of the Hammerhead rear bumper, but I'll have to add the cost of a tire carrier on top of an already fairly steep pricetag.

yo fellow DFW resident...this is what i did.

https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/44-fabrication-tools-equipment/499520-ranch-hand-bumper-custom-tire-carrier.html

the guy who did the fab work is local, so you could potentially have him do the work for you.

also...since i have the bumper mounted carrier, i no longer need my OEM carrier. if you're interested in buying that, i have all the pieces. maybe we can work out something there. send me a PM if interested. i would be happy to let you come and look at my bumper if you're interested.
The more I look at it, the more I like the idea of a lockout hub. In a perfect world, I'd find a setup that was easily removable... I'd like to be able to cruise around with the tailgate down when I get to where I'm going (the beach, the ranch, etc), but it seems like all of the high quality builds utilize a hub and spindle, and those aren't easily removable. With the locking hub, I could at least lock the arm in an out position so that I could have the tailgate down (I'd take the tire off so that there wasn't a bunch of weight bouncing around in the extended position). This is one reason that I am not that interested in installing a stock carrier (although it would have been a lot cheaper if this truck would have already had one!). I wouldn't mind knowing who did the work for you though. Would be worth reaching out and see what it'll take to get it fabbed up.

Here's the two I built using a front hub assembly off of 79 Dana 44 as the swing with backup lights in the bumper and LEDs on the tire swing
These bumpers and carriers look great! Where are y'all getting parts for these? I used to have a spare hub and spindle from my old Chevy (D44 front), but I chunked them 4 years ago when I sold the truck.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Mine came for my part pile. Owning Broncos for almost 30 years you tend to acquire some parts.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I figured. Hard to do when you've just gotten into the game. Any chance you have more spare parts laying around????

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Yeah but nothing I would want to get rid of.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
I wouldn't mind knowing who did the work for you though. Would be worth reaching out and see what it'll take to get it fabbed up.
PM sent.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts