Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
979 Posts
I Just put one in, & it was a perfect fit. Structurally, my Bronco feels more stout than its ever felt under my ownership!!

I will say to pre-fit the tailgate gaps before welding it in to place to make sure the gaps from side to side are even. Nice product!

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
979 Posts
It is fully surrounded by metal trapping it in place, just the nature of the beast. I drilled out spot welds on the floor, & used a cutting wheel, removing it in sections. My sides weren't really attached at all, hence the flopping up & down the entire back of my bronco suffered from. This is an invasive surgery!

My truck is under the knife for rust repair back there by me & I'm an absolutely green rookie at welding, but I bought a nice 110v Mig & jumped in fully... not much difficulty figuring it out.

I cut everything out, even my rear quarters locally (to access things better) till I got to strong, good metal, but that may not be totally nessescary, if you dont want to get into paintwork. I figured for me, i am repainting & replacing the quarters, so it was best to cut it open & clean & use rust treatment on everything I could, then and welded all the structure back together, using 16 ga metal from my local hardware store, cheap, thick & strong as heck.

Being a rookie, having never welded or done anything like this, it was 5-6 nights work, with only a few hours per night. Not too scary.

The load of the rear crossmember is what you have to consider. Its trapped in there. In hindsight, if you cut out the lower area, below the tailgate hinges, you can maneuver it in there without cutting the quarters.

I have lots of pics & words in page 2&3 of my build thread. I am by no means an expert & know many do not want to cut out that much of the truck, and others have asked me about not cutting the rear quarters. My stance is, if your cross sill rotted out, which is thick metal, so is everything else back there & you need all the structure to be strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is fully surrounded by metal trapping it in place, just the nature of the beast. I drilled out spot welds on the floor, & used a cutting wheel, removing it in sections. My sides weren't really attached at all, hence the flopping up & down the entire back of my bronco suffered from. This is an invasive surgery!

My truck is under the knife for rust repair back there by me & I'm an absolutely green rookie at welding, but I bought a nice 110v Mig & jumped in fully... not much difficulty figuring it out.

I cut everything out, even my rear quarters locally (to access things better) till I got to strong, good metal, but that may not be totally nessescary, if you dont want to get into paintwork. I figured for me, i am repainting & replacing the quarters, so it was best to cut it open & clean & use rust treatment on everything I could, then and welded all the structure back together, using 16 ga metal from my local hardware store, cheap, thick & strong as heck.

Being a rookie, having never welded or done anything like this, it was 5-6 nights work, with only a few hours per night. Not too scary.

The load of the rear crossmember is what you have to consider. Its trapped in there. In hindsight, if you cut out the lower area, below the tailgate hinges, you can maneuver it in there without cutting the quarters.

I have lots of pics & words in page 2&3 of my build thread. I am by no means an expert & know many do not want to cut out that much of the truck, and others have asked me about not cutting the rear quarters. My stance is, if your cross sill rotted out, which is thick metal, so is everything else back there & you need all the structure to be strong.

Thank you! I’m reading through your thread now.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco Eddie Bauer. 5.8L, C6 Automatic Stock Manual Hubs. Other parts unknown
73 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts