Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres oil spots in one fender well & on the back of that tire & the other side there is oil on the front side. i am installing rear disc brakes soon & i bought axle seals for a D60 & actually paid for gaskets for the shaft flange. my question is about the seals i got. are there seals on the outer part of the axle or just inside the pumpkin? you can see pics of the whole thing torn down here
http://www.ncspecialties.com/autobody/reardisc/ where its just a spindle. can i replace a seal like the 9" have at the end of the housing? do that make sense?

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
On my 74 with the rear dana 60 i just used silicone when i did a rear brake job and it was just on the axle flange.....I can't remem if there was a seal on the tube but if there is you should change that. might be harder to find though not sure.:shrug

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i realized that i should have just used RTV to seal the axle shaft flange, but i had already bought the gaskets. plus with one leak spitting oil on the inside of the tire & the other on the outside of the tire & inside of the rim. i just cant find my Haynes.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i found the Haynes & the seal i guess i am talking about is the one on the inside of the hub, Haynes calls it an oil retainer assembly. it looks like there is an inner & outer bearing. hmmm i will ask the guy if these are fairly new or pick up a set. and you need a special tool for the rear hubs too? dang, i gotta get one for a D60 front axle too. waa waa waa. i know, shut up & put the discs on & take pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts