Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK posting here in new thread. I posted some questinons in the newbie flame free thread (post3522). Most of the questions I posted there have been answered, thanks to you guys for that! I do have some follow up questions and potential axles I'd like some help with at the bottom of this msg.

D60 rear questions/thoughts:
looking to build up a rear axle for semi DD no larger than 35 tires. mild/moderate wheeling on the weekends. First time with rear ends.

I am considering the D60 for the following reasons:
*full float so if axle breaks, no big deal, can still get home
*Ox locker to be added later on
*cheap. or so I have read, but seen no proof as of yet
*I really wouldn't mind building another 9", but main drawback is no ox locker.

Reasons I'm wanting OX lockers:
*Don't want to mess with air/ARBs. too expensive and if it's complicated, I know i can mess it up somehow.
*Reading stories about detroit lockers have me paranoid, although I've never ridden in a vehicle with one to see first hand how it drives and can loose the rear.
*Lunchbox lockers seem to be on the verge of overworked with 33's/35's and I think the locker in the rear of a DD thing still applies. (Dont think this statment is accurate, as the lunchbox lockers seem to be OK with these tires and is more dependent on the carrier it is in D44 locker will be weaker than D60 locker ect...)
*I do like the idea of being able to select when fully locked or fully open

More thoughts/considerations:
*Ox locker for 8.8 available, but this just seems like a downgrade especially considering they aren't full float.
*No ox locker for the sterling 10.5 either.
*corp 14 bolt seems a bit of overkill, again, no ox
* would also consider an electric locker, but I don't think they are avail for the 9" either
* would probably leave the D44 up front for now and just switch to 8 lug outers, or more realisticly just carry 2 spares around for a while
* would be a project build up, not somthing I need to have completed right away
* budget minded-who am I kidding I like to pinch pennies til lincolns eyes pop out...

Also, I'll note here that I just went to get an alignment on the front stock D44 (which i just swapped earlier this year from the parts truck) and they said I need new ball joints. Only $100 for parts and $1200 for labor. My immediate reactions were:barf & :cry.... They also said they estimated about 6 hours work which = $200/hr! But... I just talked to my mechanic friend and he said he would help me with whatever and has all the tools experience, so that ROCKS!

Anyway I want to keep the D44 front but have the wheels/hubs to match the full floating rear. Since I will do new ball joints anyway, what parts should I go with on the front when redoing the ball joints. Both the front and rear upgrades are not immediately needed and will be a work in progress. I plan do ride rig as is until spring, but need something to work on in the meantime...

Will post pics of potential axles soon...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
potential craigslist finds

Rear D 60
http://nwga.craigslist.org/pts/2581451119.html

I asked if this one is still available or if it is full floating, spline count... Does have disk brakes though and is already cleaned up. If it's not full floating, can they be converted easily or should I pass.

Another junk D60 with extra carrier, looks halfway decent/cheap
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/2642022654.html

AND... just a note for you craigslist junkies out there, you should try search temptest. It basically searches all the craigslist pages for you and puts it all the matching results in one page. You can put in your zip code and set how many miles away to search for whatever you want! No more searching on this cities page, then switching cities and searching again and again...
Example:
http://www.searchtempest.com/results.php?search_string=dana+60+rear+axle&category=8&Region=na&cityselect=zip&location=36117&maxDist=250&region_us=1&srchType=&showeb=1&keytype=adv&minAsk=&maxAsk=&subcat=sss

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First ever visit to the U Pull it for Rear D60 axle

OK, First off this is the first time I have ever been to a U pull It! WOW what a circus! I was like a cheapo kid in a junk candy store! I was impressed that they had touch screen computers telling you where the truck/part is. Found a few potential donor trucks printed out on my search ticket, but I ended up walking the whole yard anyway.

Here is the first one that caught my eye. It is off a F350 super cab from 90's? I think this is a sterling though, but it looks like it would be a decent 4x4 axle.

AND.... drum roll please....
threw this up just for kicks. Next time my GF says something bout my bronco being rediculous or ******* I'll show her this and remind her it could be/get worse...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, got the images resized. So I'm leaning toward the last one D60 out of the dodge box truck/van, or *maybe the D80 out of the green truck or one of the other posted on CL linked above. What do you guys think?

Also, the green truck has 8 lug front outers with disk and calipers, should I go ahead and nab these to put on my D44 front down the road?
thx for:rockon

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Those pics are not resized Buddy. Make them so you don't have to scroll to the side.

And why are you looking to put a dana 60 or a dana 80 in?? when a sterling is a much better axle and there are tons of then out there for cheap. Why no Detroit locker? I run a detroit locker in my daily driver and never have a problem with it. They are also so much cheaper (I got mine for $220) then a Ox and I would say much stronger to.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did resize the pics they are not scrolling sideways on my computer anymore. They are the same names as the old ones which may be throwing it off. Try holding ctrl F5 to refresh the cache and see if that gets it. I can rename them to pul correctly if that don't work, just lemme know.

I'm still on the fence, but still leaning to to D60 because I never drove anything with a locker.

I did get some more info on the D60 posted on CL with disks.
he said its a 30 spline full floater. 75" end to end and spring perches 45" center hole to center hole. Thinks it came off a ford truck.

If sterlings really are that cheap and easy to come by I'll still consider one. I still plan on keeping the D44 front for a while though. If I get sterling rear with the bolt pattern they have, is there a front conversion for the D44 ends to match the 8 lug bolt pattern for the rear?

Thanks man, as you can tell I'm still on the fence. let me know if those pics still need attention after hitting Ctrl F5.

·
Administrator
22,848 Posts
Also this has NOTHING to do with a Solid Axle Swap, (which is removing the ttb and replacing with a solid axle), Moved to correct forum.

·
Retired
16,016 Posts
I personally went with a 10.25 and a D60 front. Most 10.25's are already geared 4.10 ratio. The problem with Dodge axles is they run goofy ratios but hey if your going to regear then it don't much matter.:toothless

·
Registered
200 Posts
Go with a sterling. It will make your swap much easier as it should bolt right it with little modification. Also for the OX locker, Its my opinion they are equally as complicated and more expensive than an ARB and not really worth it. In your situation I would run a Detroit and be happy with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts