Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lurker
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rear D70 -$50 as seen in Forsale forum.

Rear D60 -$180 HERE

What are the pluses and minues of the D70? How hard would it be to convert to single rear hubs?

D60 has new brakes.

Trying to decide. Both are within a couple of hours of me.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
all I know is the 70 will be a worse dragger than 10.25 and waaaay stronger than the 60 .......... if it were me and I wasn't putting anything bigger than 38's I would go with the 60 with the added piece of mind of having new brakes to boot ... it is a full float too!!!.... rebuilding the brakes on the 70 will quickly take it over the price of the 60...I would think

my 2 cents for what it's worth :shrug

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
D70 probably = 35 spline shafts

heres some info
search pirates, theres a lot more info on there.

Damager said:
all I know is the 70 will be a worse dragger than 10.25 and waaaay stronger than the 60 ..........
Center of the tube to bottom of uncut diff measures about 6.5", about .5 to .75" more than a 60. I will likely shave it dramatically.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have a dana 70 under my 78.At first i had a 60 but for some wierd reason some guy wanted to trade his dana 70 for my dana 60 so it was a fair deal hahahaha.....I got 35 spline axle shafts,he got 30.I got 4:10s,he got 3:73.If i was in your shoes,i would run a dana 70 if you are running 38s or bigger.If not stick with the dana 60

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You don't have to convert anything to SRW hubs. What he has is probably a F350 chassis axle or something... that's why it's so wide. You'll have a hard time finding spare shafts for it... the good news is, you'll probably never need them.

D60 shafts snap like twigs.

Get the BOM on that D70, you can find out exactly what it is. If it has the offset pinion, it's worthless.

70Us have great housings... 70HDs and 70Bs, not so good.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Ok, let's re-visit broken 60 shafts:

These were all with 38" or 39.5" rubber and 460s...........but only one of them let go under heavy throttle, the others just loaded up slowly while crawling and let go. Based upon what I've seen I think a 60 rear would be *just barely adequate* with my 37's and 351, very little safety margin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts