Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, im new here. Any ways, i've read a lot about jeeps takin 8.8's, and puttin them in. My ? is can i take an 8.8 out of a 00 explorer and put it in my 91 bronco. I want the disc brakes off of it. Also can i take the locker out of it and put it in my axle, i've heard that they fit right in. I know the dics will bolt right on the the end of my axle. But, then how do i vavle my brake system? Do i need a new brake booster and master cylinder. Thanks for any input. Peace.

·
OUCH!!
1,044 Posts
This was already ask there noobie. If ya run a search you shall find the answer.

If ya don't wanna do the search then if I reamber correctly the 8.8 out the explorer will not fit because it is to small

·
Registered
787 Posts
IMHO swapping in rear discs isn't worth the trouble on a truck.

BTW.. Explorer axles are too narrow

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
I think Raf had disk brakes on his machine before he decided he wanted bigger and better....Hopefully he'll chime in...If it wasnt him, He helped someone install them i do believe....Yeah....Yeah, thats the ticket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All right guys i see u dont think its worth it. Well, im planing on runnin 35/15/16's. I haul our car hauler a lot and i need better brakes. I have good basic brake system right now, it just doesnt stop very well know(im runnin only 33/12.5/15). ANy help would be great. I have heard that i can use a brake booster and mater cylinder out of a 88 F350. do ya ll know if that will help. I need brakes of some kind, and from brake techs, i here that the best bet and bang for the buc would be rear dics. Any input would really help. Thanks for all ur time.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I can relate if you just gotta have disc's...trust me I get crazy notions in my head that I just gotta do or die trying too! But...If all your worried about is stopping power while towing, I'd say get electric brakes for your trailer. The stopping power is not gonna be that much more substantial...considering the time and money you'll have to throw at it....If you just gotta do it, there are companies that sell a disc conversion kit. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO!

·
Registered
787 Posts
I say upgrade your front discs, get some quality pads, and shoes all around, then get brakes on your trailer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts