Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

rear differential gear problems..i need help!!

757 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  sackman9975 
#1 ·
hey ok so i was working on my bronco it is a full size 89 FORD BRONCO and we had to take out the axles and redoing the axle seals. we took apart the differential :smilie_slap
the two spider gears fell out and we cant get them back in. we can get one in by putting it in and rotating one axle which moves it in but then we cant get the second one there seems to be an s-clip in the way, which appears to be holding the two side clips in place, and we don't know if we should take it out or not

any help would be very appreciated

(8 1/2 c-clip rear end, if that helps)

#4 ·
Ive never had one apart. Someone might chime in and help you. If not
start another thread called trac-lock assembly help.

Or try the search button above and type in "trac-lock".

#6 ·
Yes, yank that spring clip out of the way.

Be sure you re-install that clip, and everything else, properly before bolting the cover back on. Rotate the driveshaft a few times with the rear wheels off the ground, make sure nothing binds, etc. It's a lot cheaper and easier to fix it now, while it's at least accessible.

#9 ·
I had to rotate the spider gears into place. Its easier to have a pal spin the axle shaft to spin them back into place. But watch your fingers! Have your pal spin slowly and watch how they spin. It may take a few times twisting into and back out to get it right. Place the spiders on both sides in the center of the opening of the carrier and twist them into place. Don't forget the washers on top of the spiders also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.