Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on my 87 bronco, i want to convert over to a rear disc setup....Now i work for a Autoshop in my area and i acquired a rear disc setup from a 96 Exploder that needed a rear...I was curious if the setup off of the exploder would work on the 8.8 in my bronco...if not, what years are compatible?Any aftermarket ideas?

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
There is a company called TSM that sells a rear disc kit for Broncos
go to www.broncograveyard.com and check it out there.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
i0n said:
I was curious if the setup off of the exploder would work on the 8.8 in my bronco...if not, what years are compatible?Any aftermarket ideas?
i think this is really popular with jeepers, but i don't know about broncos. if the rearends are the exact same i'm sure it would work. too bad i don't know shit about exploders.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
The rears are not the same.
It wouldnt work.
The rears are smaller side to side which makes it such a great swap for a jeep who wants to avoid the full size axle look.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
hes not asking about swapping the whole rearend, just the disk brake assembly off of the Exploder 8,8 if i read it correctly.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
correct....just the disc brake setup...not the rear totally

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Sorry my bad.
God I sound dumb as sh!t sometimes.:toothless

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would think it should work,as the axles in both vehicles are Ford 8.8". In the Explorer it is a 31 spline, not sure if that will make a difference or not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just thought about something. Does that one have a solid axle in the rear or is that around the time they changed it to the rear IFS? I know on '91-'94 Explorers it was the 8.8" 31 spline axle, but I can't remember when they changed over to rearIFS.

If it is a solid axle it should work, I've also seen other Broncos use the Explorers brakes on them so I guess you could use them and the only difference would be how much extra work it would take.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys, guys, I'm not sure that the rear disc will work at all. Is the bolt pattern for the Expy. the same 5 on 5.5" as the full size axle? If not, there is the biggest stumbling block right there.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the bolt pattern on the expy is a 5 on 4.5 pattern...its out of a 98 with a solid axle rear...does that mean it wont work though as far as mounting brackets n nonsense goes?

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
mnewbern said:
I know on '91-'94 Explorers it was the 8.8" 31 spline axle, but I can't remember when they changed over to rearIFS.
they changed IRS in 01 or 02. it was very recent.

and yes, i forgot about the 5 on 4.5" thing. thats why all the jeep guys want them from exploders.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How are the rear brakes on the '98 Explorer set up exactly [as far placement of the bearings in relation to the rotors]? The 91-94 Explorers, with just the front disc brakes, had the outer bearings in the rotor itself. Could you just replace the rotors with an apropriate ones [ones that have the correct bolt pattern]?

I realize someone will tell you to go buy the conversion to make it easier, but I think I'm safe in assuming you want to try to use the parts on hand to save some $$$$$.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi all, I was doing a search like a good little noob and came across something that has me scratchin my head. In the above posts the disc brake kit listed on jeffs BGY and the TSM kit are referred to as the same kit by beerman? They look different, whats the verdict?

also while I have your attention(s), Do I need the e-brake on my street driven Bronco? I think yes because I was under the impression the PARK in an auto tranny is only a little pin that can sheer?

Thanks to all who reply :rockon

·
Registered
150 Posts
e brake= use it or not, depends on if you need it, have you ever rolled off of a hill because of the trany letting go, i use mine, i have a clutch...personal preference

·
Registered
489 Posts
just have a machine shop re-drill the 5 on 5.5 pattern into the rotor/drums (yep they are a combo) .... should enable you to bolt them up to your axles.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
the hardware will all bolt up to your 8.8sans calipers....that is as far as i have gotten with my truck. i was going to try stock front rotors but i haven't gotten that far. I figured if the rotor was to big of diam i would modify the bracket to fit my needs. I talked to TSM many times but they want 279 bucks for brackets and rotors. i wouldnt buy anything else from them if ya go that way. Go to you local parts store and buy the gm calipers with e-brake or without, alot cheaper than from tsm.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts