Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i just thought that i had a bad u-joint. so i take off my drive line to discover this. what is this ball and socket thing; whats it called so i can get a new one. how do i replace the ball. it does not seem to come off. :banghead

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
are you stock? lifted? what mods? because all of these can lead to driveshaft problems, and you may need to upgrade while replacing to save yourself money in the long run

wes

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WES said:
are you stock? lifted? what mods? because all of these can lead to driveshaft problems, and you may need to upgrade while replacing to save yourself money in the long run

wes
everything is stock. i am running 33x12.5 MTRs

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
k, i believe that is just a CV joint, i cant tell real well cause i dont remember there being one on my bronco, i may be wrong though. take it to any reputable driveline shop in your area and they can fix you up, remember that there is little room for error in a driveshaft becuase of the speeds it spins, do it right or dont do it at all

wes

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
my bad, i wasnt quite sure, couldnt quite tell from the pics, listen to him, hes right

wes

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
it would be easy to tell from the pics if you knew what it was.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
to be honest, and completely honest, im not real familiar with drafeshafts on vehicles EXCEPT for the big rigs, cause i workt on those in my dads shop for about a year, i was just tryin to be helpful, but it seems as though i shoulda just not said anything

wes

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
What trans/tcase are you running? I have two double cardan rear shafts that came off of a C6/NP208 combo. Both are off of a Bronco with 9" diffs. I'll cut you a deal if this will work for you. :) NORM

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
BigNorm said:
What trans/tcase are you running? I have two double cardan rear shafts that came off of a C6/NP208 combo. Both are off of a Bronco with 9" diffs. I'll cut you a deal if this will work for you. :) NORM
Hi bigNorm!

don't think that will work buddy, as he has an '89, so likely an AOD/1356/8.8

Everyone is right though, that's just a pic of a double cardon, pretty easy to rebuild, though getting the right "ball" part replacement number is tricky, shop NAPA on this.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well gtting the ball piece off was easy. as i was installing it my neighbor came over to check on the progress. he informed me that stud that goes into the ball has to be with in specs or something. so i took it down to a driveline shop and it turns out that my was off by like 10,000 of inch. if i would have installed the new ball and cup i would have trashed again within a couple of months. to get a new stud installed the drive line shop would have to cut off the yoke and replace it with a new one. buying a new drive shaft from autozone was way cheaper at 162.00

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, dude, I was gonna tell ya just buy a new one...they're pretty cheap or just take it to a shop. I got mine, which to my surprise was beefier than the stock one, from Jeffs Bronco Graveyard.

http://broncograveyard.com/products/cat/20/162

They also have the CV head ball and the spring that you're looking for, for like 12 bucks as well as all the other parts that make up a driveshaft. my .02

1 - 12 of 12 Posts