Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'96 XLT, 5.0, E4OD, Electric 4X4, Automatic Hubs
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everybody, just trying to get a feel for whether or not we should attempt to replace the shoes on our rear drum brakes. We took off one of the wheels a few days ago and the drums seemed pretty stuck. We are hearing a rubbing noise coming from the back wheels. Just wondering with everything we have going on if it’s gonna be a tougher involved job without the proper tools. We knew that we were gonna have to put new shoes on. The previous owner had already bought them and left with. I watched a video of a guy trying to get a stuck drum off and the video seemed to go on forever, lol.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
You can do it yourself without the specialty tools....take pictures of how everything is before disassembling for reference and invest in a Haynes book or equivalent if you already haven't....Spray some penetrant around the center of the drum where it meets the axle. You'll need a dead blow or hammer or sledge lol

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can do it yourself without the specialty tools....take pictures of how everything is before disassembling for reference and invest in a Haynes book or equivalent if you already haven't....Spray some penetrant around the center of the drum where it meets the axle. You'll need a dead blow or hammer or sledge lol
Alright then, thanks! We need to make this happen then. Need to pick up a hydraulic jack and some stands.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
936 Posts

Just make sure you put the short shoe on the front. Put the lug nuts on a few threads just in case you miss the drum and hit the stud. Don't ask me how I learned....

·
Super Moderator
24,983 Posts
Yo Joel,
In 1996 Bronco Workshop Manual (partial);

Section 06-02:
Brakes, Rear Drum

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

Brake System, Drum @ 1996 Bronco/F-Series
Hubs and Bearing
Brake Shoe Automatic Adjustment
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

Rear Brake Drum REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Excerpt;
"If the brake drum is rusted to the axle shaft pilot diameter, use coarse sandpaper to remove the rust buildup, then remove the brake drum.

If the brake drum will not come off, insert a narrow screwdriver through the brake adjusting hole in the brake backing plate (2211), and disengage the brake shoe adjusting lever (2A176) from the brake adjuster screw (2041). While holding the brake shoe adjusting lever away from the brake adjuster screw, loosen the brake adjuster screw with the Brake Adjustment Tool D81L-1103-C or equivalent.

Loosen the brake adjuster screw only if the brake drum cannot be removed. Do not burr, chip, or damage the notches in the brake adjuster screw or the self-adjusting mechanism will not function properly.

If the brake adjuster screw was loosened, check to be sure the brake shoe adjusting lever is still properly seated in the shoe web."

Lug Nut/Bolt Torque Requirement
Wheel Hub Bolt

Retracting Brake Shoes, Rear, F-250, F-350
Brake Shoes and Linings, F-150 and Bronco
Brake Shoes and Linings, F-250, F-350
Wheel Cylinder
➡➡Brake Backing Plate
DISASSEMBLY AND ASSEMBLY

Self Adjuster
Wheel Cylinder
SERVICE PROCEDURES

Drum Refinishing
CLEANING AND INSPECTION

Cleaning
Inspection
ADJUSTMENTS

Brake Shoe and Lining
Drums Removed
Drums Installed
Brake Shoe, Initial Setting
Brake Shoe, Periodic
Bleeding Brakes
SPECIFICATIONS

SPECIFICATIONS
SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS/EQUIPMENT

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOLS/EQUIPMENT

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,327 Posts
Here's a pic thread I did of a sterling 10.25 (one ton) rear axle. It is significantly different, but you might pick up some pointers.

Sterling 10.25 rebuild

Reactions: JoelS

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
what miesk5 posted above is what you need. the drum gets stuck on b/c the shoes will wear a groove in the drum creating a lip that holds the drum in place. back out the self adjusters so the shoes can contract. once they are contracted they will no longer catch the lip and the drum will come off.

also, i recommend grabbing new hardware and self adjusters. maybe even wheel cylinders.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
and while i'm not usually one for "while you're at it" kinds of repairs, if you plan to replace the diff fluid, now is a great time to do it. reason being, you could easily check the condition of your axles where they ride on the wheel bearings since the drums are already off at that point. with the differential out you just pop out the c-clip in the differential and slide out the axle a couple inches and look.

even if you decide to just inspect and plan for a future repair, at least you'll know where you stand.

this will give you an idea of what i mean.

·
Registered
634 Posts
May as well plan on having your drums turned or purchasing new ones.

The tooling to make the job easier isn't all that expensive. The spring pliers, brake spoon, and shoe retainer drivers aren't probably a $25 combined.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
May as well plan on having your drums turned or purchasing new ones.
if they're worn to the point of being stuck on the shoes, it's probably time to replace them.

after parts stores around here started charging $16 and up to turn rotors or drums, i stopped having that done. plus considering the down time that comes with waiting for the parts stores to get to turn them, it's no longer worth it to me.

·
Registered
835 Posts
The tooling to make the job easier isn't all that expensive. The spring pliers, brake spoon, and shoe retainer drivers aren't probably a $25 combined.
Funny a friend and I were discussing this last week. Yes you don't need the specialty tools, but they make it so much easier. See if your local parts store has 'em available for loan.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
289 Posts
The only brake drum tool that may be a specific "specialty" tool is the spoon/brake adjuster. I have a FJ40 and the adjustment spoon is a unicorn. Without it it difficult. All the other tools are your basic drum tools as posted.

@JoelS] You two are really plugging along! Is your boy still helping & enthused? Your truck is going to be fully sorted and safe for the young man!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Joecruiser

I got yah! Thanks.

Yes, he is wishing I could be there helping more instead of back at work. Here he is putting some POR15 on the frame before we put the bumper back on. We both wish it wasn’t so darn hot!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts