Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '96 came with a 3.55 LS and I am wanting to change to a 4.10. I am wondering if it will be better to just go to a junk yard and get a set of F-150 4.10's or to change out the gears in the dif's to 4.10's. What do you all think?

Pap

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
It'd be a waste of time, changing the rear axle ratio that little amount. You'd hardly notice the difference.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wouldn't go through all the work required to install a used ring & pinion, even if they was given to me for free. On the other hand, I've had a fair amount of success when swapping the entire differential for a known-good used one. Key words there being "known good"......which means to check it over carefully before you buy it.

Hope this helps.

DGW

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't go through all the work required to install a used ring & pinion, even if they was given to me for free. On the other hand, I've had a fair amount of success when swapping the entire differential for a known-good used one. Key words there being "known good"......which means to check it over carefully before you buy it.

Hope this helps.

DGW

That's kinda the way I was thinking. I assume that any '92-96 F-150/Bronco diff's would fit? By the way, I got caught in a bad ass speed trap in Splendora back in the late 1980's. I was doing 58 in a 55. Don't think I have been back there since.

Pap

·
Registered
232 Posts
My '96 came with a 3.55 LS and I am wanting to change to a 4.10. I am wondering if it will be better to just go to a junk yard and get a set of F-150 4.10's or to change out the gears in the dif's to 4.10's. What do you all think?

Pap

Either way is cheaper I would suspect is the way to go..

If I may inject my opinion on the subject.. I think 410 is a perfect gear ratio for stock tires up to 31" tires especially if you do any highway driving..
4:56 with stock tires creates a few problems you need to be prepared for such as less oil capacity in the axle due to the large gears.. Less oil = a lot more heat.. Driveline spinning speeds causing havoc on u-joints etc.. Not at all a good choice for any highway driving if your running stock'ish tire sizes "In my opinion"..

·
Registered
472 Posts
Man, you guys are sure different than me.
Me?....I'd love to have the bucks to convert both the differentials in my DD to something in the 3.00 range. Out here in my part of Texas, we don't got's much stop and go driving, exactly zero hills to climb, and the heaviest load my Bronco ever totes is 3 bales of hay at once. With no OD, running over 2500 RPM @ 55 MPH is sure getting expensive.

And yeah pappy19, my local cops got no sense of humor about the speed limit around here.

DGW

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
theres no reason to goto a higher gear ratio unless your using very large oversized tires like anything past 33's. You'd get more torque, but its not worth it. 3.55 I think is a good gearing. Its better for highway travel and easier on the gas mileage. And I wouldn't bother with rebuilding it, I would just swap the whole rear axle. I need to do the exact same thing because my differential is going out, but im staying at 3.55.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The reason I am thnking of switching from a 3.55 to a 4.10 are the mountains around here. When I go to Boise from Garden Valley I go over Horseshoe Bend Hill and it is a long monster. I get over it OK with the 3.55, but I know that a 4.10 it would cruise over it. The engine isn't too stock with a high rise manifold, 51mm TBS, Basani shorty headers/exhaust and K&N intake system. I also have a Transgo shift kit. I think the 4.10 would really wake up this rig, but I am also thinking "if it ain't broke......." as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Either way is cheaper I would suspect is the way to go..

If I may inject my opinion on the subject.. I think 410 is a perfect gear ratio for stock tires up to 31" tires especially if you do any highway driving..
4:56 with stock tires creates a few problems you need to be prepared for such as less oil capacity in the axle due to the large gears.. Less oil = a lot more heat.. Driveline spinning speeds causing havoc on u-joints etc.. Not at all a good choice for any highway driving if your running stock'ish tire sizes "In my opinion"..
Ditto, I changed to a 4:10 from a 3.55 in my 96 Bronco, and with 31 inch tire, it makes a tremendous difference in power and responce.
Stock tires with a 4:56 and you have no top end for highway driving. I found that a 30 to 31 inch tire was great with a 4:10.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
WilieC has 4.56's with his 32's and a 302 and he loves it for Colorado and our mountains.... And if your worried about lower oil capacity with the 4.56's just get an aftermarket diff cover. almost all of them are higher capacity.

I've been at this cross road for a while now too, with thinking about goin up to 4.10's with my 33's, i've already got a 3rd member with 4.10's just cant decide if i want to spend the coin on the rear when i'm doin SAS in the next year (hopefully).

·
Premium Member
5,773 Posts
It'd be a waste of time, changing the rear axle ratio that little amount. You'd hardly notice the difference.
I agree here. I swapped my 3.55 for 4.10s to go with my 33's. Anyways I still have my 31's on and can BARELY tell the difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts