Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES, I SEARCHED.

While my slip joint probably does need attention, there's also about 15 degrees of play at the pinion (with the truck in the air) before the axle shafts start turning. Is this normal? I wouldn't think so, and I may be exaggerating, but it does feel like there's more play than there should be.

Also.....when driving, or taking off, when I add throttle, the motor bogs down for a second or two, like it got a slow response from a MAP sensor or something and is having delayed fuel delivery, and then it roars off. I can wind it out to the rev limiter in first, second, and third (302/M5OD/3.55 gears/33" BFG M/Ts).....I just have to wait for it to wake up. I don't think it's a fuel pump or filter issue (though I have been meaning to do that filter) because the motor can deliver unbelievable power at WOT and approaching redline, so much so that friends in newer trucks can't make it from 35 to 90 as quickly as I can.

Also, anyone have any ideas about a ticking/puffing noise that sounds like an exhaust leak, but...isn't? It was with the engine both before and after a COMPLETE (header to tailpipe) exhaust replacement, and the headers are sealed very well. Valve issue, maybe? The motor makes a reasonably steady 17 inches of vacuum at idle, and I think I've chased the last of the broken plastic vacuum lines for now.

As for the no torque down low...it sometimes almost acts like it has a too-big aftermarket cam, or a timing set was installed a tooth off, or something. it just doesn't perform well at all down low, never did, even with 235/75R15 stock tyres. And fuel economy has never EVER broken 11.5 MPG, and it's actually WORSE on the highway than in town....

:whiteflag

·
Registered
224 Posts
YES, I SEARCHED.

While my slip joint probably does need attention, there's also about 15 degrees of play at the pinion (with the truck in the air) before the axle shafts start turning. Is this normal? I wouldn't think so, and I may be exaggerating, but it does feel like there's more play than there should be.
It may be bad/worn spiders. The best would be to pull off the cover and see what it looks like inside. I had a similar issue and I tightend up the pinion nut slightly, but once I peered inside, I could see the worn/broken clutch plates & Spiders

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine's an open diff, so no worn lcutches. I'll check it out one of these days, I guess

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
15* sounds ok. it's normal to have some slop when turning the pinion back and forth before it engages the axles.

i think your MPG issue is your lead foot. you have made it no secret you beat the piss out of just about anything you drive.

have you pulled codes?

when was the last full tune up?

the thermactor system (air pump) can cause sounds that sound like exhaust leaks, if the hoses or pipes degrade and rot out. my last truck had this issue.

pull the vacuum line off the FPR and see if it smells like fuel.

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
15* aint normal man, and it doesnt take much to take apart a rear diff and check it out, maybe 3 hours R&R if your just checking parts, of course i would replace allt he bearings while your in there... but sounds like worn spider/shaft gears

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
that really isn't a whole lot from full engagement CCW to full engagement CW.

if that was 15* in or out, or up/down i'd be concerned.

the axle is probably original, 20 years old a little play is going to be there. doesn't mean it's ready to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
15* sounds ok. it's normal to have some slop when turning the pinion back and forth before it engages the axles.

i think your MPG issue is your lead foot. you have made it no secret you beat the piss out of just about anything you drive.

have you pulled codes?

when was the last full tune up?

the thermactor system (air pump) can cause sounds that sound like exhaust leaks, if the hoses or pipes degrade and rot out. my last truck had this issue.

pull the vacuum line off the FPR and see if it smells like fuel.
Even driving her normal. Never beat 11.5.

Codes are for airpump system, and EGR problems....EGR problem is insufficient flow, probably due to the near zero restriction exhaust.

Did a full plugs, wires, cap, rotor, timing bump a few months ago, only a slight improvement, if any. #8 was pretty fouled up, though. Rerouted PCV since then.

Will check the FPR...thanks!

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
well damn, EGR issue. That could be your low mpg right there.

fix the egr. i've had vehicles that had almost zero exhaust restriction, i never got an egr code. that system throws a code because something is wrong. not because you have no cats/muffler/resonator on it and it's a "free flowing" exhaust.

thousands here have ran these trucks with just manifolds and nothing else with fine working egr systems.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's just what my mechanic told me, I'll check it out. All of my codes are "insufficient EGR flow" ones....could it be a sticking EGR valve? (I've applied vacuum to the valve before and it seems to be working find, and the green plastic line has been fixed where it had cracked)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts