Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I got a 95' with a 3:55 L and every time I get going from a stop I feel a klunking from the rear. I pulled the cover and everything looks accepptable. I'm thinking the posi clutches are wore out?? about 160 mi or more on them. Drive shaft was rebuilt awhile ago and new u-joints about 10k ago. I checked them again and seem good.

Anybody got any ideas?

Many thanks, dikthod

·
Registered
313 Posts
It's not the disks in the LS. You'd only feel that while turning. Most likely if it happens (assuming it's an automatic) when it shifts gears, it's either the transmission itself, a loose mount, loose flange nuts, or the cardan center yoke.

I rebuilt my whole drive shaft, and somehow didn't get everything back together the right way. Everything felt good and operated properly but shortly after it started clunking on me, and the cardan joint basically disassembled itself while I was driving. Rebuilt it again and I haven't had any problems with it.

Also had the u-joint at the pinion explode, taking the yoke out with it. Put another one on and forgot to use locktite. Nut backed itself off and started causing some clunking as well.

My transmission would cause a nasty clunk whenever I changed gears... not while shifting much though, just mostly when I changed from park, drive, or reverse.

Just a few thoughts to start with. Checking all the nuts, mounts, u-joints, and the cardan are the cheapest options.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
How long ago did you grease the slip joint?

·
Registered
205 Posts
yep mine does that too and has been doing ever since i bought the truck. not much of a problem. does yours seem a lot less "severe" whenever its cold?

Mine is just like that.

I lube everything up and check my you joints like this site said and now im guessing ring and pinion.

But i its on my list of things to do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All done Klunkin'

Hey to all youall that gave me some ideas about the rear end klunkin', MANY THANKS!!

Grease the slip joint and it seem to have done it. When I took it apart I'd of never thought that was the problem. Everything was tight and there was some grease. Well I cleaned it up and slobbed on some Kendall blue bearing grease. Whood a thunk??

-dikthod

1 - 9 of 9 Posts